Monday, July 23, 2007

Budgets and Blustery weather

Yes, those are storm clouds, or rather, monsoon clouds and yes, that is rain falling from our back porch roof. And have you ever smelled the air in a place so unaccustomed to such dewy goodness? It is intoxicating really: post-downpour desert. Whenever it rains or storms, Craig always calls from wherever he is and we gush over the phone about how we wish we were together, I know, ew! But, there is something about the disturbing of nature that makes you crave company.

So after hanging up with Craig the kids and I sat out in the wind, before the rains started, and screamed as we watched huge gusts work their way from the neighbors big trees to our pool's surface then to us. You could seriously watch them come. Now, don't be disgusted by this blatant metaphor, but sometimes I feel like the wind. An invisible force, no one particularly seeing me, but seeing the "movement" I leave in my path. Why must I always narrate my life--working on that.

Well, eventually our exciting breeze became a gale force wind when chairs and pool toys began flying past. This frightened the kiddos a bit so we took shelter indoors. As we cowered behind the glass Lucy suddenly shouted, "MY STUFF!" Lucy always carries "stuff" with her lately--today it was her comb, her gold clutch purse full of "dutterfly" hair clips, and a sippy cup of warm orange juice from this morning. (yes, Ann Dee, I am that "sticky mom") . Apparently she had left it outside in our mad dash to escape injury from flying debris. I echoed her urgency and gasped, "Let's go save it!" I've never seen her so focused. Stuff safe. All safe.

In MUCH more boring news, we made a budget...well, it is still in infancy, but this is huge. A first. Here is evidence of our diligence:


I never knew Target was such a money sucker--those little red T-shirted-khaki-bottomed people are no dummies--they've roped me in their last. I will now aim directly at my target when entering theirs. With blinders on. I will go directly to my needed item, I will not pass the dollar spot, I will not collect the latest stationary or Mizrahi skirt. So, I'm proud of Craig and I for raging against the machine (debt) and taking on this battle. Our spontaneity and desire to entertain (others and each other) has heretofore impeded progress in this department. No more! (There was grape juice in that wine glass, mind you--I am NOT one to crunch numbers while intoxicated.)

Sorry for such a ho-hum post, but stay tuned, I've got something up my sleeve.

11 comments:

Sara said...

Oh that Target! It's all those red circles. . .they make me dizzy and before I know it I've got new swimming suits for the kiddos, a cute frame for my bedroom and a fancy pair of flats in my basket rather than the diapers, Mr. Clean Magic Erasers (have you tried those puppies?) and paper products I came for. Good for you. . . an example to us all. Just leave some room in that budget for a plane ticket to come and visit me. (Actually, I think it is my turn to head out west and pay YOU a visit. . . here's hoping)

Tasha said...

Nothing smells better than a desert rainstorm. Its my favorite!

Target is a money sucker to be sure! Its amazing how many things I "need" in there! There is no Target in Cache Valley, so my money is all going to Sonic. Dave says I can only go during Happy Hour!

Elizabeth said...

I am already saving for when Target opens up here in a year and a half. I am sure it will be spent over Christmas in California though. Target, Ikea, and TJ's oh my. It is a good thing I don't live on the mainland or we would be in Major debt.

Amy said...

Target takes me in. I call it a good visit if I've spent less than $50...even when I go needing nada. Pathetic. I think I'd need intoxicating if I were to actually sit and budget.

Jenny Dahl said...

First, do please continue to narrate your life. Always a treat to read. And Target, oh don't get me started. We have a love hate relationship. I love it and my budget hates it. Glad everything is safe indoors and out of the AZ weather.

Katy said...

To Lucy, it really was a crisis, getting all her stuff saved--I'm glad you took her so seriously. I seemed to always leave my stuff out in rainstorms as a child, too. Even now, when I hear the rain start, i have momentary panic that I've left my library book outside.

Ann Dee said...

Ummm, I think the sticky mom thing would only apply if the orange juice was all over her face for a few hours. But maybe I'm wrong. I'll ask. :)

Jill said...

I'm wishing we'd have a good rain storm. The forecast is all thunderstorms but so far they've eluded my house. My yard needs watering, my world needs cooling, and my psyche needs a break from the intensity of the sun.

Budget, smudget that's what I say. Target is the biggest cash sucker in my world too.

Rachel said...

target is a never-ending source of malcontent when we do our budget. i walk in for toilet cleaner and leave with everything but the kitchen sink. i think i just need to ban it.

Shannon said...

After we bought our house things got out of hand with us. New plumbing, new electrical, new paint, new toilet paper holder, on and on. Before we knew it we were in. The last few years we have been on a TIGHT budget. Very difficult when Scott went back to school during that time. We have about a year left of debt and the feeling is incredible to almost be out. Everything seemed so dark and gloomy before. Go to daveramsey.com Listening to his radio show and reading his book, are great motivators to stay on track. And for heavens sake don't buy the book, check it our from the library. Have a great day.

Lucy said...

I went to Target today and thought the same thing. And I bought a skirt with no such intention before going in. And I have a budget. Good luck.