Thursday, July 19, 2007

Brimming



I was laying down with a sick Seth today on the bed--Hazel was pulling up at its foot playing peek-a-boo and Lucy was clicking in and out of the room in her purple plastic dress shoes, silver clutch in hand (thanks, Aunt Ann). As I watched the girls and rubbed Sethie's back I thought, "We have lots of kids". At least--it feels that way. There are only three and yet my hands and this house seem so so full. I told some friends recently that I wish I felt "done". But, alas, there may be more faces added to the above montage in the future. It is that feeling that creeps in during lunch when I'm feeding Hazel and Seth and Lucy are at the table and I get a certain sense that there is another baby asleep in a back room somewhere, unaccounted for. Still, that baby will have to be patient...because my hands and this house seem so so full.

14 comments:

Crystalyn said...

well put. i can empathize completely. i have had similar things on my mind and keep reminding myself to just take one day at a time. i don't have to make that decision today.

Jenny said...

Doug and I often talk about how many kids we have. I think 4 today in our society is a TON to most. But we wanted and planned all of them and wouldn't have it any different. It's definitely challenging, but worth it in all respects. Your kids are darling!

Heidi said...

Having those same feelings myself, but that other baby might not be put off much longer. A definite leap of faith! Will keep you posted :)

Jill said...

I have a friend who has 7 kids, and one time I asked her how she knew it was time for another one and she said when she'd set an extra place at the table or be looking around for that missing kid. It's sweet that you feel that way too. I've had no such feelings and kind of wonder why.

Katy said...

I have that feeling, too! (I don't know how that's possible with so much chaos around here.) I keep pushing it aside, hoping that it will go the other way, where we start leaving one behind :)

No need to think about it right now. You're still young with plenty of time to decide to add another.

Jenny Dahl said...

Look, there's a spot right next to Hazel.

ingrid said...

Keep us posted! :)

nie nie said...

I feel like i have a million kids with a million more sleeping somewhere else.

Amy said...

Nie Nie's comment cracks me up. The "how many" is constantly on my mind of late. I know one more. But beyond that, I'm just not sure. I guess you know when you need to know!

Love the pictures of your kids.

Dana said...

I understand this feeling too.

It kinda like you can feel them bumping up against you but when you look down, no one is there.

amy m said...

I know that feeling of a full full house. You know it will get easier when they start getting older and than the full feeling with be a feeling of joy, not that it isn't right now, but man it gets busy and exhausting. I guess what I'm saying is, it's hard now, but having a full house will be so rewarding in a few years.

Elizabeth said...

I know that feeling also. A baby in another room. Ilizzy always wonder if that feeling will go away someday when we are supposedly done. My Mom said it never went away for her.

michelle said...

Beautifully put, as usual. I love how you always seem to find the happiness hidden amidst the difficulty and chaos. Brimming is the perfect word for it.

And I love the new banner!

Jeni said...

I think I'm good with one...