Wednesday, June 20, 2007

"There's a Ram's Head on my Steering Wheel" and Other Unsettling Thoughts


We spent over four hours at the dealership--with all three kids. Skittles, orange highlighter pens, and strolls around the showroom cubicles kept them entertained while we were swindled and re-swindled (no offense Rebecca and Jeremy) by two car salesman. Finally we left our Camry, got out with nearly the deal we had originally agreed to and came home with...a Dodge.

Now, I'm not one to define myself by the car I drive. But, if a car WERE to define me--this, would not be the means to that definition. I need something safe to take me and mine where we need to go. I don't what to pollute the environment any more than is necessary, and I don't want to sink fistfuls of cash into a machine that will eventually just die. So, we came home with...a Dodge.

My friend Kim, upon hearing the news, said, "A Dodge?" then, "Is it turquoise?" The sarcasm and mocking in her voice was palpable--but acceptable because she is a dear friend. I retorted, "at least when you come to visit we can all travel together"--perhaps not in style and with no extras whatsoever, but safely, together in our new silver...Dodge.


*To those reading, who happen to own such a fine vehicle, please don't take offense--this is a completely grateful-to-have-a-van-personal-to-me-rant. I can't tell you the peace and relief that have come with this purchase, but there, I just did.

13 comments:

Katy said...

Welcome to mini-vandom! Nice color choice, too!

ingrid said...

Jordan, welcome to the world of minivans! It doesn't matter if it is a Dodge, or a Toyota, or a BMW, it's a van and much more spacious for your growing family!!!! I am also one of those completely grateful to have a van especially after MONTHS with 3 little kiddos squished in the back of our Corolla. I love it, Jordan! Congrats!!! I am SO excited for you!!!!!

Jenny Dahl said...

I hear mini vans are the car to have these days. Congrats on your new stylin set of wheels!

Jenny said...

Congrats on the newest silver bullet. I admit I had to bring myself to liking my new set of wheels a few years ago. But, really it is awesome to travel in.

Too bad you had all the kiddos with you. That must have been tough. We went through Doug's school and didn't have to haggle with the vultures.

Happy driving!! We will have to hook up when you get back from Utah. I will be in town the 4th-15th.

rebecca said...

I am not really going to welcome you (I don't belong here either) - but I hope you enjoy your temporary wheels, the ones that you will definitely prefer to your sedan, driving yours and your family and friends around in while you await your real car, the one you will buy in 15 years with no dvd player or wipie holders attached. In the mean time, what a relief for you guys! I have been teased by my brother-in-law about driving a soccer mom car while he was comfortably catching a 10-hour ride from me, all of us together, in one car. Where did the negative connotations come from, anyway? They are practical, so whatever. I am just glad they didn't swindle you into a tourquoise one...

Jordan said...

Rebecca, I only WISH my van came with a wipey holder and a DVD player!! Yes a relief to be sure and no torquoise in sight!!

Kelly said...

Our former pediatrician's husband coveted a mini-van. They had one child, and she wouldn't hear of it. Besides him, I don't think a mini-van is anybody's dream car or car they wish to be defined by. They are so practical, though. And anything that makes life easier is dreamy!

We had a mini-van after our dental school car died. Then we switched out to an SUV. I guiltfully drive this awful pollution-mobile, and I truly hate it. Keith loves it, but he doesn't have to park it and chug around in it on a daily basis. I am lobbying for a change back to a mini-van. We'll see how successful I am. And your title made me laugh out loud! Turquoise would have been extra-fancy!

Rebecca said...

That is a great car! I am excited to see it filled with all the littles when you come.

Shawna B. said...

As a fellow Dodge driver, I nod my head in agreement and look forward to the day when the Dodge is no longer my ride. In the meantime, welcome to the Dodge family. Good to have you! And, like you, this care does NOT define me! :)

Jeni said...

Minivans are why I've decided to only have one kid...maybe two.

Jordan said...

Oh, Shawna! I'm happy now to know that I'm in SUCH good company.

Jordan said...

Jeni--I don't think the driving of the minivan should dictate the creating of your family (tongue in cheek)! Besides, you'll need one just to tote US around when we come and visit!! Just don't get a Dodge--there are cooler vannies out there for sure!

michelle said...

Too funny. The title alone had me giggling. I would feel the same way about a Dodge -- in both senses, slightly disconcerted yet grateful to have it. I have been beyond thrilled to have my minivan, it makes life with 3 kids so much easier! Congratulations. (If it helps at all, I think it is a very nice looking Dodge!)