Tuesday, June 19, 2007

We Had to Let Her Go


She was a sweet, mild-tempered, tan little thing. So devoted, so reliable. Yet, she was crowding us and we had to let her go. We needed another that would give us some room to breathe and move and find sanity within. She toted home safely, from the hospital, three scrawny Mangum babies, newly birthed, bunched at the bottom of the infant carrier--our three, all three. She was the first "Our" car. She managed to hold it together through some bumping and crushing. She lived through over 75,000 miles with us in tow.

But, we had to let her go.

So, sit back. Relax. Even let the whole song play out to the last note...and enjoy this memory montage in images of the vehicle in which we laughed, yelled, ate, discovered, kissed, cried, slept, learned, sang, and sometimes danced:









*Tomorrow: "Our New Ride"--don't get too excited.

10 comments:

Rebecca said...

I am always so amazed at how attached I get to cars and can remember every last one. Well, I wasn't attached to the Subarban, actually, glad to get rid of that particular one. So many memories wrapped up in a car.

Michelle said...

isn't it surprisingly hard to say goodbye to a family car! Very nice tribute and pretty tune!

Elizabeth said...

We shipped our first car over here with us because I couldn't say goodbye to it yet. What a nice goodbye you gave it.

ingrid said...

I am WAY excited! I am hoping you are going to join the minivan mom club!!! I can't wait to see your new ride!

Kelly said...

This is one of my favorite songs, and I loved the tribute to your sweet-tempered tan one! Our first car died with nearly 300,000 miles on it two weeks before dental school ended. A bittersweet moment, for sure! Can't wait to see your new wheeled friend tomorrow.

rebecca said...

FINALLY!!!!

Katy said...

Minivan club, yes!

Jordan said...

Ingrid, seriously, DO NOT get too excited.

ingrid said...

Perhaps I will go into labor!

Kurt said...

bye bye Toyota!