Sunday, June 10, 2007

Edibility

I have this weird thing. Okay, I have many "weird things". This one manifests itself most prominantly on Sunday. Home from church--everyone's tummy's are grumbling. When my interior is this empty I feel an extra sort of importance attached to whatever I put in my stomach first. It is probably not physiologically justified, but I tend to believe that on an empty stomach, whatever I eat will have a bigger impact. The nutrients could be absorbed much more quickly. So...coming in the door from church I, famished knees trembling, scramble to concoct a bowl of goodness to satiate a belly crying out for nutrition. Craig can be seen scooping up spoonfuls of dry cereal, Seth--cheese and crackers, Lucy--popcorn from nursery. Yet, I hold back the urge to reach for the closest calories. Shaking, I derobe the Sunday-dressed littles, scooch the girls off to naps and Seth to quiet time, spend some faltering moments in the kitchen, until finally:
Whole wheat pasta, avacado, arugula, home-grown tomatos, perlini (super tiny fresh mozzerella balls), sauteed eggplant, green onions, lime juice, olive oil, salt and cracked pepper.

Aaaaah.

11 comments:

ingrid said...

YUM! Can you please post this recipe?!?!?! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!

Jordan said...

Ingrid, there is really nothing to it. I don't have a recipe just chop and mix. The only cooking is the pasta and the eggplant. I mix it all together while it's still warm then squeeze one lime (or a lemon-my preference) a splash of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. SO easy!! Enjoy!

Michelle said...

Love to see someone enjoy food as much as I do! I wish I had that kind of patience. The salad looks sooo good. I can totally relate about cooking good food for yourself when everybody else could care less! I loved the camping photos- so brave to get out like that!

Amy said...

Oh, I knew I loved you.

Kelly said...

I am impressed that while shaky, you had the willpower to concoct such loveliness. It looks fabulous!

Sara said...

Can you be at my place after church next Sunday? We get out at 12:00noon. . . see you then!

ingrid said...

What do you saute your eggplant with? I'm with Sara, can you be at my place after church next Sunday? We're in a different time zone, so I think you could make it...

Jordan said...

Ingrid--I sautee most everything in just plain ol' olive oil, seasoned with s&p.

Katherine said...

Ooh I'm so impressed! I can't wait to try this- some of my favorite flavors.

Jill said...

This is why you're so thin. I would have downed half a bag of chips with dip BEFORE getting anyone out of their church clothes or to bed.

annalisa said...

You want to move into my house? :) Nothing is yummier than a salad on a hot summer afternoon and this salad looks particular yummy. This is why I sneak snacks at church. I can't go 4 hours without something subsiding those hunger pains. I'm sure everyone knows me as the crazy girl who eats in church, but oh well.