Monday, May 21, 2007

Bright Green Relishing

We were like a beach blanket and these days in Chicago whipped us off the ground and shook that gritty sand from our fibers. Knock! knock!, "housekeeping!". Nope, still in bed. It was nearly too indulgent. Sleeping past 10:00am every morning. We had therapy in the form of a "Char Dog". Who would't get happy over such bright green relish. In fact, our fare for the trip was grand. I dragged Craig all over the city to hit the culinary jewels that perhaps, you might have missed: Sweet Mandy B's Old Fashioned Bakery in Lincoln Park for the tartliest, smoothified, lemony lemon bar ever, Clark and Kinsie to feast on perfectly executed smoky Mexican food brought to us by the one and only Rick Bayless of Frontier Grill fame. We licked our chops after tastes of Cazuela de Pollo en Crema Enchipotlada on my plate and Carne Asada a la Oaxaquena (marinated in spicy red chile and wood grilled served beside the best black beans you've ever laid tongue on and sweet plantains with sour cream and "serranoed" quacamole) on Craig's left us oohing and aahing. Honestly folks--these second helpings (we had dined at his other acclaimed restaurant the night before) were heavenly to me.

I of course, feeling tree-deprived of late, snapped several of these-type photos. The weather was simply made for us. Our hotel overlooked the Chicago river. We watched various vessels float by, the bridge raising to let the sailboat masts merge downstream then lowering to allow the throng to pass once again. We witnessed a movie being filmed right outside our window--police copter hovering so close he could have seen what channels I was skimming on the TV, a car chase with gunshots and sparks flying, dodging oncoming traffic--a real thriller! Angelina Jolie: said star. Wanted: said film. Catch it in a few years maybe you'll see me peering out at the commotion. All this city slickness was tempered by strolls through the orchid, fern, and tropical plant rooms of the nature museum.
My favorite: strolls hand in hand under the canopy of skyscraping madness, through lush Lincoln Park where we happened upon free ice cream, four feet aching but hands held as we discovered the wonders of Millenium park. And the greatest walking ever done?--The Art Insitute of Chicago: our walkway, the impressionists and surrealists: our strolling companions.We symphony sat, gushing through supposed Mozart "Sinfonia" and the rush of Tchaikovsky's "Symmphony No. 5"--a city gift from the Philadelphia Orchestra. Afterwords a brisk half-run home with one pause for hot chocolate and dipping donuts. Hey!! Thank you Gromma and Aunt Ann! You have been dubbed heros in our family now. For "giving us a shake" and keeping the sweet threesome happy and healthy while we enjoyed some wiggle room in a windy city. Thank you for letting Seth eat twenty otter pops in one sitting. Thank you for indulging Hazel in her early early morning tea time. Thank you for giving Lucy her first "dancing dress". Thank you, for spending time with ours when we know you'd probably rather be with yours.
On the phone Seth requested, "Come over to MY house, Mom!"
With pleasure--now, sweet Seth.
After the flick of our "beach blanket" ended and we floated back down to earth, I landed home softer, more comfortable in my own skin. My creases smoothed and irritated corners soothed.



14 comments:

Tasha said...

I wondered how your trip was! I am so glad it was GREAT!

Love the photos!

Katy said...

Truly the best thing one can give a mother with littles, time with her ONE. I'm so glad you and Craig were able to depart to be together. Come here next Gromma and Aunt Ann!

ingrid said...

What a dream - time alone with the One! I agree that the best gift any Grandma can give is time with her little grandkids and a little R&R for her sweet daughter and spouse. I am so intrigued by Chicago now! Thank you for sharing so much fun to be had in the windy city!

Elizabeth said...

Looking at this blog is making me want to take a vacation. :)
Just found your blog from Elizabeth's, and wanted to say hello.

Jill said...

What a beautiful and poetic way to recap your getaway. It sounds glorious and looks beautiful. You two deserved such a great vacation. I'm glad you feel restored and ready to be at Seth's house again!

Amy said...

I loved reading this..imagining all that shaking off of grime & sand...to find yourself renewed. My only Chicago time was a little over a week, but I remember being enchanted by the city.

While you were away, you won our Saturday favorite things party drawing. Welcome back!

Jenny said...

Welcome back glad you had a fabulous getaway. It sounds like the kids had fun as well too.

So many great photos!

michelle said...

Oh Jordan, I've missed your way with words. I don't know what sounds better, the sleeping in, the food, or the sand being flicked and the corners smoothed! Wonderful, and well-deserved.

Jordan said...

Amy...what?! I won something?!! I should go out of town more often!

Kelly said...

I am so glad you had such a wonderful time, and loved how you shared your trip in such an enchanting way. It makes me ache a bit for a reunion with that city.

rebecca said...

You sound so refreshed! (relished?) Glad you took on the town, you two. What gems, your family helpers. Lovely, lovely!!!

annalisa said...

Sounds like you had a much-needed relaxing time together. I love the pictures with the glass globe.

Katherine said...

Sounds heavenly! I'm glad you guys had such a great time.

kristi brooke said...

the photo of you in the orange jacket in the mirror is beautiful
and the hot dog contraption is making my mouth water!