Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Snake, Snot, Swimming, and a Sleeping Spouse

This coral-colored beauty has made its home in our backyard. After a long harsh winter (note the sarcasm) he has come out of hiding and paid Seth a visit the other day while he was tooling around with the hose in the sand. He came running in the house, "the snake, the snake!" We really should give the guy a name.
With five months under her belt and an extra dose of unexplained fussiness, we have a sneaking suspicion that teeth, anxious to surface, may be causing the above scene. Poor Hazel. Such a face. Life is full of changes we must work through--pleasant and unpleasant alike.
And...is it April 3rd? Are these people swimming? Yes, aren't you jealous--don't be, this activity will soon become a method of survival. I must add, the water was a bit chilly, but the kids were thrilled. This beats hose play any day! The kids hopped down from dinner and this is the sorry scene they left behind...Dr. Gooch, dead asleep in his chair. He crawled in bed around 1am after working 10 hours and 3 hours later crawled out again to start another shift. Poor man, the dinner conversation just didn't do it for him tonight.

I love these little tokens of change, ushering in the comforting feeling of moving forward, time passing, and seasons spreading their signs in us and in our little world.

11 comments:

Amy said...

Yay for the little skinny dippers. We'll wait for heating up a bit (and it won't take long, I'm sure) but I'll definitely invite us over for a swim sometime this summer.

As for Craig snoozing at the table, I cannot even imagine the brand of tired that could manage that. Poor guy!

Lucy said...

That is some kind of tired! I've seen a head nod down in my time, but never with the leg crossed. Wow. Lucky ER patients!

Teething comes in a close second to potty training in my book refiner fires for parents. The days and weeks of fussiness and then it comes up and then goes down again and then back up....ugh. #11 is coming up on my 14 month old. It's a daily struggle.

Elizabeth said...

Oh poor guy sleeping at the table. You can tell he is an old pro at it. Kalani would have probabaly been face down in is soup

Katy said...

I'm proud of Craig for getting in the chilly water--Ryan took the girls to the pool and let them fend for themselves. Divine complains that he let her drown.

rebecca said...

You are moving forward! I love the moments captured here - and what a classic residency shot of Craig - you will look back in wonder at these days!

Jill said...

Wow, this is a packed post even though it's brief. Poor Craig, falling asleep in that position is a form of desperation, that's so sad.

That picture of Hazel is so pathetic, what a great shot!

sista # 2 said...

I love the 3 S's!! And pix to match! You crack me up! -ciao

Jenny said...

I love your little skinny dippers. Too cute. I know it is warm, but it would be much too chilly for my liking in April!

I have seen Doug conked out on the floor during playtime with the kids but never at the dinner table. Poor guy!

I hope Hazel's little teeth feel better soon.

annalisa said...

That is a sorry scene when three restless kids put you to sleep at dinner! :)

amy m said...

Too funny about Craig falling asleep in the chair. How tired must he be?

michelle said...

Poor little Hazel, what a sorry sight! Love the naked little swimmers. Swimming, on April 3rd!