Monday, April 02, 2007

Sleeping in after a full weekend of feasting...

We live in a different place when the house quiets down. We fill the rare silence with talk of "whens" and "ifs" and "if whens". Just this morning we stretched out in the cozy and found ourselves at a beach house listening to the sea breeze outside our window. When actually, we knew it was the last cool breeze for the day and it wasn't the ocean we heard but the dry wind whistling through the cactus barbs. Yes, we should "make the most of now", "live in the present, for it will pass us by", and we shouldn't "dream away our lives"....but, somehow, for us now, and for even a little bit longer, an exception is in order. At least for today we will let our minds rest on the future, when there will be more of "we".





11 comments:

Amy said...

Yes. The platitudes are fine & good, but dreaming of different is by no means bad...sometimes necessary. I hope to visit your beach house soon and hear that ocean breeze..

carlo said...

very sweet post.

i hope you find your ocean breeze soon...we have a cottage we physically visit at least once a year but mental visits happen much more often

Katy said...

Amen!

Elizabeth said...

I agree it is important to live in the present. But I can't imagine life without daydreams. You amaze me with your eloquence.

Jill said...

You have such a poetic way of capturing the moments of your life. I love it.

Jenny said...

That is the cutest photo. Amen sister. I love what you wrote..here here!

michelle said...

Sometimes the now is just a little too overwhelming, or at least just mundane. I like the idea of daydreaming about the ifs and whens and if whens!

Allison said...

I think daydreaming of the "ifs" and "whens" is the life of residency, but you are right to want to live in the present.

Thanks for the reminder.

amy m said...

I so agree with what Elizabeth said, it really is important to live in the moment, but what would life be like without daydreams? I don't want to know.

It's so sweet that you two take the time to bring your dreams together. One day no doubt they will become a reality.

rebecca said...

A wee more of we is on order. Glad you enjoyed your virtual jaunt to the beach...

annalisa said...

I am a big dreamer. Life just wouldn't be worth living for me if I didn't have something to dream about and look forward to.