Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Sweet and Sour Day



That sheep looks like it could let out a "baaa" any second, doesn't it? Our easter cookies came to life this year with magic sugar--a few drops to the white crystals and we had butterflies, bunnies, and baby chicks dancing in our oven!





The sugar bakes right on the dough for stickability and sticks right on our fingers for lickability. It was a sweet time.


I'm afraid the above scene was the lone sweetness in a day turned sour by a mood with which I woke up. Speaking of sticky, I just couldn't shake this one.


I sent Seth to his room finally after he threw a rock that hit Lucy's face. I left him in there even after he professed readiness to "say sorry" (usually a sure ticket "out"). I just wanted some remorse from this little man who has, as far as my mood today was concerned, gone too far with the sibling abuse. Although remorse, I believe, isn't even an emotion a 3-year-old can comprehend, let alone feel and act upon. I held out until I heard under the door, "I NEED to get out of here! I want to say sorry for throwing a rock at Lucy." In his voice, it sounded as if he really did NEED to do this. I opened the door, knelt down and he fell into my arms. We both cried a bit.

Why turn a perfectly sweet spring day sour? No reason. Like Seth, after a day like this Monday I NEED to get out of here (this mood) and say sorry...to MY sweets.

15 comments:

Amy said...

Cute, cute cookies. And I couldn't help but notice and love your blue wall in the background...a beautiful color.

I know those days, those moods. The hardest part is the Mom honestly is sometimes the only one who can shake things up for a change all around. I love how you did that with your sweets & sweets.

Jordan said...

Yes, yes, Amy! Why is it so much of it rests on the maternal shoulders? Is it fair?

Katy said...

It's usually after 5 PM (okay, more like 4) when I am in those moods--I tell Ryan I'm not a good mother after that (unless he's there breaking up fights and calming the crowd.) That's why the eternal plan of a mother and father is so important--a mother usually has patience for the long haul, but a dad is needed for that short burst of playfulness and relief at the end of the day.

I've chosen a pale blue for my harp room--did you paint that room?

Jenny said...

We all have days like this. I don't think a day goes by if Luke isn't sent to his room for "pushing, teasing, etc"

Your cookies are darling. Hope today goes more smoothly. :)

rebecca said...

And they will, of course, only remember the cookie baking and decorating, while you are burdened with your higher mommy standards.
Here's to a new day!

Jill said...

The cookies are beautiful, much more so than anything I've ever made.

I'm sorry you woke up in a sour mood, that's the worst, you shouldn't even have to get out of bed when you feel like that, let alone be the mom.

Throwing rocks in sister's face is not a good thing, I think you were smart to hold out until he NEEDED to say sorry for real.

carlo said...

oh how sweet and bittersweet at the same time.

i think we have all been there and to that i say "tomorrow is a new day" which is my mantra on days like that.

seriously on the cookies- beautiful!

Elizabeth said...

We do have such control of the mood of our home. And sometimes that seems like a burden. I love the days when I muster enough energy to make the change and realize what a blessing it is. Cookies seem like a great way to make it cheery. Lost look amazing.

Kelly said...

Your cookies turned out amazingly cute!

It is tough to be the mood-maker for the entire family -- especially at the end of the day for me. You are carrying so much of everyone's load. And sometimes I am just too stubborn to want to change the sour mood into something sweet. But, Rebecca is right -- they will remember cookies, and there's always a fresh start to try again in the morning.

Jenny Dahl said...

Seems like I have been spending a lot of time appoligizing to my little ones as of late. Emotions get the best of us sometimes. Its a beautiful thing to be able to say your sorry and for them to understand and to forgive you as soon as the words leave your lips. Thank goodness they are forgiving souls!

michelle said...

So good that you could turn things around. The image of him falling into your lap and both of you getting teary is so sweet to me. So much of it does rest on maternal shoulders, and no it is not fair. Some days I just don't want to be the mom, but there is no escape. It was beautiful the way you linked the sweet and the sour -- please tell me you are writing a book, Jordan!

amy m said...

It is hard to deal with those kinds of situations on bad days...don't I know it. It seems in those times when all seems impossible I have a constant prayer of patients, and when I fail myself at least after those moments we can share an even powerful moment of forgiveness.

sista # 2 said...

Oh my goodness! How cute you are! Sweet & Sour all in a days work!
A hug, kiss, & cookies & all is right! How precious;) -ciao,Janae

Tasha said...

I love the sugar cookies, and I quake when I think of having to negotaite not only my own relationships, but those of my children. You ROCK!

annalisa said...

Those cookies are adorable! I should have the inciative to have that much fun with my little girl.
I think a rock in the face elicits an extra-long time out with cool off time for mom. Oh I would love to be the character in my daughter's life with the even temper, but my sour comes out more than I'd like