Saturday, March 10, 2007

Seth Noble

He won't readily pose for any photograph. He certainly won't perform on demand. He has a one-track mind and it is a track made for racing. He has something to say but won't unless he's assured of a patient, captive audience--one who will take seriously his very serious ideas and opinions (this trait he shares with his mother). He's a wonder to watch. He loves both his sisters. The two-year-old he loves silently and batters audibly, the 4-month-old gets all his coos and caresses in an obvious show of adoration. In the car today we had a brief conversation about how great it will be when Hazel is old enough to play. This very idea lit up his face. A few minutes later I turned, concerned at the silence in the rear and saw Seth sandwiched by sisters, holding the hand of each, grinning ear to ear. They sat this way smiling for several minutes (okay, maybe 4). The very idea of this little act is enough to light up my face--the very act of it--well, you can imagine.


Seth is a builder. He builds with whatever materials are at hand: blocks, tracks, crayons, a mound of mac 'n cheese...it's incessant, really. It is scarily easy to let the impressionable matter of our littles' minds escape us and simple deflect, distract, or discipline the whines and whimpers that often escape their mouths. Seth is a builder and if allowed, his beautiful mind will build beautiful beautiful things to come.

14 comments:

michelle said...

He sounds like a gem to me. Holding his sisters' hands, patiently waiting for an attentive audience, a builder. Such a lucky boy to have the mom he does. Can you hardly wait to see what he will make of himself?

Amy said...

I once had a similarly priceless moment...driving, I looked back to see the boys stretching across the vacant middle seat to hold hands with each other. Melted heart. Your Seth sounds adorable. I love to see children in their serious endeavours. Their world is huge & real & important...I sometimes forget this.

Kelly said...

What a sweet boy you have! The image of a Seth and sisters holding hands sandwich is so tender! I dearly love it when my girls show spontaneous and real affection toward each other. It's definitely wonderful fuel to keep on mom-ing.

Crystalyn said...

what a cute little guy! those few moments in the car, holding hands with both sisters would have touched me so. what a sweetie. oh to have a big brother like seth.

shawnaB. said...

Love that Seth! I'm glad to see he's still so into his trains, his choo-choos. He's adorable - always has been. What lucky little sisters to have him as a big brother.

rebecca said...

Oh how I remember your journey to select his name, and Seth Noble it is, in so many ways. 4 minutes is a long time to a toddler. LOVE!

ingrid said...

I am so impressed by Seth's creations AND his loving kindness towards his sisters. I think the relationship between sisters are special, but I have loved my relationships with my brothers and how protected and safe they make me feel. Seth's little sisters are lucky little ladies.

Katy said...

It's fun your first is a boy. He will forever be the protector of his sisters--of course he'll always have the rights to tease, but he shall protect them from everyone else. I know you like a captive audience--I don't. Our differences make life interesting, don't they?

amy m said...

Seth sounds like an adorably sweet little boy. I love how excited he was just thinking about his sister being big enough to play with.

Elizabeth said...

I love that, sandwiched by sisters. So glad you looked back.

Amy said...

Love the new look. And love that you quoted Annie Dillard on the sidebar. Pilgrim at TC is on my all-time favorites list. LOVE!

Jenny said...

Jordan--
I just misplaced your number #%#$%! But I was hoping we could hook up with Sista #2, Amy S. and who ever else in the Valley. If you are around this week..email me. Wouldn't that be fun?? (texbonedoc@yahoo.com)

Jill said...

He sounds like quite a love, what a sweet boy. I love the image of him holding his sisters' hands.

Jordan said...

jenny, my email is jordan_mangum@yahoo.com, email me your number--I'm available Tuesday and Wednesday of this week.