Friday, February 09, 2007

Soccer, a Scorpion, and Spring!




It was 90 minutes of bad luck and good playing for Mexico. With a stadium of about 62,000 people probably 80% of those were rooting for the mean green Mexican machines. It was almost sad that they didn't make any of their several shots into the goal--because it would have been amusing to watch that stadium erupt. We did a little erupting of our own on the two goals our team landed. The first was right after half time so we got drenched with the freshly filled beers being raised around us. We sat with Sam's army in our patriotic red and cheered on the US Men's Soccer team last night...it was a good time. Craig was in heaven. I caught him smiling to himself this morning (he does this often and it cracks me up) as he was scrambling the eggs. I said, "What are you smiling about!" He was of course reminiscing about watching "his boys" play. It was nice to hang out together and with friends.





I am not afraid of bugs, I did just fine with the giant roaches and swarming termites of Louisiana...but scorpions...with their barbed tails curled up ready to strike at any moment and their iridescent scales speeding across the floor...it is TOO much. When the insect could possibly send my child to the ER...is it worth it to live in the same town as these monsters? This one didn't escape after I swept him out of his hideout--you can see his guts met the floor very quickly. We saved the remnants to give our kiddos a mental image of the enemy of the house and told them to flee when another is encountered. I think we sufficiently freaked them out.

This is our trusty push mower. Growing up I always dreaded mowing the lawn at my parents. Huffing up those hills sucking in exhaust and gas fumes...it was not a pleasant task. But, I've been waiting for warmer weather (not a long wait here) so I could run our little red push mower across our little square of grass. In fact, I think the grass exists just so I can mow it. No fumes, no hills, just the sweet smell of newly clipped greens. Spring has arrived in February.

*Side note: My younger sister started up her blog (back in December it turns out). They made a Sandman in place of a snowman out in Jacksonville Florida this past Christmas. You can take a peek here.

11 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Sounds like a fun night out.
Scorpions are scary. We have huge cockroaches here and swarming termites. The huge flying roaches get to me. The scariest here are the centipedes.

Allison said...

What a great night. I catch Richard doing the same thing...smiling to himself after something wonderful.
I don't think I could handle your type of bug either. I will stick with the bugs we get here in NOLA.

Amy said...

It is Spring in AZ, and if you want a Phx Zoo buddy in the next few decent weather weeks, let me know!

Jordan said...

Yes, Amy, I'll email you.

rebecca said...

Oh, I would love to behold Craig at a soccer game. That kid is nuts - I remember that you got a tv for soccer, right? Or some special cable package so Craig could watch games at like 3AM one season. Too funny.
Yikes with the scorpion - I think it was smart of you to scare the kids - I would have thrown it out too fast.

Jordan's sister, you may not know that many of us have been following your family (via Jordan) through the births (and excellent names) of your daughters, and your move. We are lurkers in your life, and would love to see an update! Is this too creepy? We come in peace.

ingrid said...

I can just see Craig smiling now. I love it when I catch Mike smiling after a successful LSU tiger football game. What would life be like without their favorite teams?

I am scared after seeing your scorpion picture! FREAKY! We have yet to have any bug problems here in FL, but I know they are out there! I do recall our NOLA days of roaches and swarming termites.

And Jordan's sister, let's plan a trip for the Mangums to come to Florida and build a sandman of their own! I believe we live only 90 minutes away from each other...

Kristi Brooke said...

hey girl, thanks for the wonderful surprise in my mailbox.
this may be embarassing to admit but i think i have only heard 2 of those songs before so what a treat for me.

Barker family said...

Jordan, I have been really missing out. Oddly, I thought since your family blog was not frequently updated...this one wasn't either...my loss! I have now made the switch on my favs, and have loved updating myself with your insights!! A friend in Texas also told me she enjoys your blog! You are talented, friend.

annalisa said...

My husband is the biggest soccer fan. He would have loved to see that game. I grew up with cockroaches and they always creeped me out, but scorpions? Those are just nasty. Your cute little mower makes me smile. My husband mows lawns in the summer (he's a school teacher) and I can only imagine how long it would take him.
Hey thanks for the link! I did click it and it goes to my overwhelmed post and not my home page. I'm sure if that was your intention. A couple of your other links don't work. I don't know if people have moved blogs since you linked them, but it may be work a check.

Jenny Dahl said...

Those darn scorpions. I think every person in my family growing up has been stung at least once. Thankfully only one trip to the ER. You should try hunting for them at night with a black light. It makes them glow in the dark! Hopefully you won't find any more inside. They hurt bad if they get ya.

michelle said...

Your grass is green in February? It's warm here but the grass is still ugly brown. I really don't think I could handle the scorpions -- or cockroaches, for that matter! I'll stick with my black widows...