Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Falling in Love

I like to lose myself in the beauty of the sky, but today I seem unable to
fall in love with my surroundings without being yanked back to the gravity of my
predicament. I'm a practical escapist, and every movement of my mind, each
digression from dream to reality and back again, is a faithful expression of my
character
.--from I Was Amelia Earhart by Jane Mendelsohn


Today, as the "day of love" closes, I am renewing an old commitment to fall in love with my surroundings. To drink up the dryness that is this desert around me, to let the heat come and love the storms and sunsets. To float out of the gravity of my predicament: housewife, dreamer, mother, and let my mind move to, then rest upon, the silver edges of my reality: giggles, embraces, healthful bodies limbs so many smiles, knowing glances, wind blown hair and sheet stories in evening. Today I am falling in love with my surroundings: the place and the people that fill the hours of my day.

14 comments:

Jenny said...

You have to admit the valley sunsets are pretty breath taking. I love your attitude about falling in love, you have a way with words. You always find the best quotes and did I say I love love love the cd you made? Hope you have a great evening. :)

Amy said...

Oh, I'm glad to see you post...hope you're feeling better. I sent some mail your way that I hope will help your desert love along.

Elizabeth said...

Falling in love with motherhood seems to happen in an instance and also seems to be a lifelong process.
Beautiful sunset, beautiful words.

Crystalyn said...

you have such a way with words jordan. love your quotes. how do you find these?

i agree with elizabeth...falling in love with motherhood happens in one instant and yet is a lifelong process.

Allison said...

You do have a way with word Ms. Jordan. I have to agree that motherhood is a lifelong process, but isn't it wonderful that it is.

Beautiful sunset!

michelle said...

jordan, you are a poet! Your words never disappoint. I'm glad we have many years to fall in love with motherhood, hopefully again and again.

Amie said...

I had to come by and say how pleased I was to see your picture in Jill's comments. It is so nice to put a face with a name!

amy m said...

What a beautiful post. I love the quote. I love being able to reconnect with life each day and remember why we are here and what we are doing this all for. What a great reminder for me today.

annalisa said...

beautifully poetic. yes I need to be more appreciative of my surroundings.

Katy said...

I find falling in love with the seemingly mundane happens over and over, don't you? And it's opposition that usually instigates it and helps one truly appreciate those simple pleasures. Ironic, isn't it?

Julia said...

What a great post. I am occasionally guilty of not loving my surroundings, but I try to look for beauty in small things. Thank you for the reminder.

Rebecca said...

Jordan, I think living in the present is one of the hardest journeys. Thanks for the reminder to feel the days instead of just letting them pass. I heard somewhere that enough is better than a feast--oh to be content with enough!
Love you, MOM

carlo said...

What a beautiful post, Jordan. Motherhood is a journey and never dull, is it?
I love the thoughts and the pic. You have a wonderful way of making me really stop and think.I love that! I have really enjoyed your posts.

Shawna B. said...

Beautifully, wonderfullly said. "wind blown hair and sheet stories ..." Poetry. Here's to all of us resting on the silver edges (the best part, really) of our realities.

I think that perhaps there may come a time when you are away from your desert, that you long (even if only for an instant) for that intense, dry heat that was your Phoenix home. I still see you somewhere in New England, with autumn leaves, and charming little towns and fresh maple syrup and apples ...