Sunday, January 21, 2007

Who keeps eating all the food?


It is the same feeling I have about laundry. Who keeps wearing all these clothes?

I love a full fridge (like the recent occurrence above). Opening the door of a full fridge is like opening the door to endless possibilities--all sorts of scrumptious feasts to be created. I have only recently begun cooking again--I mean really cooking with real foods that do your body oh-so-good. Did you know 1/4 cup of yummy lentils is 40% of your fiber for the DAY! Lentil soup anyone? Also, barley is the new rice! I love the chewy texture of each barley grain squeaking between your teeth--well not YOUR teeth, MY teeth. Have you tried passion fruit juice with your scramble in the morning? A must. I am grateful that we HAVE to eat, because it makes it easy to "feed" this passion of mine: good food. A few days ago we tried roast pork tenderloin stuffed with fig and blue cheese--paired with barley and wild rice simply salted and some sauteed kale and collard ("southern greens") with freshly grated nutmeg. Don't get me started. My sweet, not spicy, husband downed a bowl of smoky red chili tonight, even through the tears and nose run (luckily we had that passion fruit juice on hand). I can't wait until Tuesday: seared scallops with champagne sauce, whipped sweet potatoes, and carmelized brussel sprouts. This streak of cooking may only last a few weeks--so you better come while the gettins' good!

13 comments:

ingrid said...

I'm on my way!

Anonymous said...

Ok, you are making me hungry!

Will you share your lentil soup recipe? We need more fiber around here. I saw that Dr. Oz guy on Oprah and he said that we need 25 g of fiber a day, but the average American gets 7 grams...

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree with you more. We just went to Costco and Sam's Club to stock our fridge this weekend. Our date night out (how romantic huh?) I love all the possiblities and sadly i know it won't last forever.

Way too go on your cooking streak!

Amy S. said...

Yum and yum. I, too, am a food fanatic, and a lover of the well-stocked pantry. Please share your best recipes sometime!

ShawnaB. said...

Oh, I LOVE a full fridge, too! Possibilities! It's comforting to know that we are "stocked," that there are snacks on hand and plenty to choose from for dinner.

Can you handle an extra five for dinner tonight? We are somewhat of a circus, but we'll bring along a dessert to share!

Anonymous said...

I love lentils. We have them every few days. I love that my kids will chow them down.
Your food all sounds delicious.

Jill said...

You're making me feel sorry for my husband. Not only do I not make dinner regularly, but I certainly never make anything as fancy as the foods you've described. We had S$%^ on a Shingle last week and he was thrilled! So sad.

Jenny Dahl said...

Sign me up Jordan! Wow, what a chef. I couldn't get my family (kids) to eat like that if I sat on them. Sounds delicious-much better than the grilled cheese sandwiches and pancakes that are regulars around here.

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm so hungry now.
Let see...do we have anything yummy in our house, no. I need to be a better shopper, and cooker and planner. I'll just bring my family over to your house!

rebecca said...

Oh, how I miss dinner at the Mangums. Now that you are back in business, we might just head over. I do hope Craig is appropriately grateful - you are rare and talented, indeed.

Jordan said...

Jenny, grilled cheese and pancakes are regulars here, too!! As are mac and cheese and quesedillas (with the "ll" prounounced).

michelle said...

A full fridge and pantry are one of the joys in my life. There is security in it, and so much possibility.

Your meals are seriously mouth-watering, I think we may be kindred spirits in food! I totally wish I could swing by for dinner...

Anonymous said...

I love a full fridge but hate to cook. How does that work? I guess I hate the pressure to make dinner fantastic every night so I avoid it altogether. Much to the dismay of my husband, I do not make huge caloric meals for dinner and he often complains he will be hungry in an hour to which I reply better you hungry than me fat :).