Friday, January 19, 2007

Self-Centeredness

Happy Birthday to ME!

On our way to preschool this morning, Seth began pointing out the cars in front of us that happened to be going the same direction. He repeatedly asked, "Are THEY going to preschool, too?" Seth's world, as far as he is concerned, is the center of the Universe. I've thought on this topic many times, that growing up IS becoming less self-centered and more others-centered. I am still growing up, though motherhood has given me a huge kick in the right direction.

6 comments:

michelle said...

It's a hard move to make. I personally think that if I'd never had children, I might never have moved away from that vision of my world! Motherhood has ensured that I can no longer believe that, at least not for long...

Anonymous said...

So true. I couldn't agree with you more. Here here!!

Anonymous said...

Motherhood does seem to give us a good jump start.
It's funny how you go from "it's all about me" to remembering to make time for yourself.

Jill said...

It's hard to imagine being as self-centered as children are, but I'm sure I had my turn too. Motherhood is one long lesson in putting everyone else's needs first. Sometimes I'm okay with that, but sometimes I'm not.

Anonymous said...

I think that is the central task of motherhood, having to think about others first and foremost, for the forseeable future... It is a challenge and a blessing at the same time. The more we do it, the more the unimportant things fall by the wayside, but a certain amount of "self preservation" lets call it, HAS to happen or we can't function for our families.

It must be nice to be 3 and think the world does revolve around us!

Jordan said...

Yes, TAsha, a blissful feeling I'm sure. (To be 3).