Thursday, January 25, 2007

Magical Mothers



I come from a somewhat competitive family when it comes to board games, random I know. But, I always remember my mother chiming in when things bordered on vicious, "relationships are more important than winning". She is one of those rare people who really get what life is all about: people and being kind to them. What more do we need to teach our children. Today is her birthday.


My mother is beautiful. She is always calm and collected. She is hilarious and becomes more so every time I see her. She is an intelligent, educated woman who is even now expanding that education formally. She creates beautiful artwork. She is an artist--a title not given lightly. She has a powerful gift of discernment. She is kind. She has great faith and patience. She loves her children and more importantly has always let them be who they are, never crushing any dream or ambition. I've never been able to find a bad quality in my mother. She is easy to cry with. She had six kids under the age of eight--and that, as far as I'm concerned makes her magical. Happy Birthday Mom!

Here is some of her artwork depicting her OWN mother who passed away less than a year ago:



My grandmother, was also magical--she welded two families together after her sweet husband died when she was a young mother of two and remarried. These two families come together often now and love eachother as if they were born under the same roof.

Perhaps that is how every daughter sees her mother: magical. Later in life, as we marry and begin having our own children, they become more and more human to us...but, certainly no less magical. I hope I can carry on this legacy of beautiful "magic", that has been passed down to me, for my two daughters.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

A mother teaching kindness is magical.
Her artwork is wonderful. My Mother is an artist also but with a very different style.

Rebecca Knudsen said...

Dearest Jordan,
What a wonderful tribute. I sat here and had a very good cry! I love how you express yourself. How wonderful to have these records of your feelings and I feel so blessed to be included among them. I love you so much--thanks for this birthday gift!
MOM

rebecca said...

Wow... so beautiful to look at and to read. A rare person, one who is easy to cry with, especially one's mother. I am grateful to know her a little bit, and she is magical! A legacy, indeed. Happy Birthday!

Jill said...

This is such a sweet post Jordan! What a great compliments for your mother. How wonderful to be able to say that you've never been able to find a bad quality in her!! She sounds amazing.

I think you're absolutely right about seeing our mothers and grandmothers as more human once we become mothers ourselves. I was scanning tons of photos of my grandmother and her mother the other day and felt this exact feeling.

michelle said...

Wonderful. She does sound magical. If my children can think of me that way someday I will feel like a great success indeed!

Anonymous said...

No doubt your mother is a wonderful woman, she raised YOU!

Happy Birthday Rebecca!

ingrid said...

What a beautiful tribute! It is indeed a gift to be able to cry easily with one's mother. Both of you ladies are MAGICAL!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post Jordan. Hope you mom has a fabulous day. She sounds like an amazing woman.

ShawnaB. said...

Of course your mother is magical. And her mother, too. Just look at YOU - you must have good roots! Such a lovely tribute. Happy, happy birthday, Jordan's mom! It would have to be the greatest gift to have your child say they have never been able to find a bad quality in you. She sounds amazing.

melanie said...

I love this post about your sweet mom. I'm with her, these words are a beautiful gift to give her. No doubt your kids will say it about you one day, sounds like you had a fabulous teacher!

Anonymous said...

how special to have a relationship like that with your mother. it speaks to both of you. from what i read you're creating the same magic for your children.

i always think your words are beautiful by the way.

amy w. said...

What a great post. No wonder you are such an amazing person--you come from great stock.

Amy said...

Your mother's artwork is really beautiful.