Thursday, January 04, 2007

In person...

Yesterday I happily tore myself away from whatever it is I do every day and nervously went to meet Jill and Michelle and see my good friend Lara again (last sighting 2002). We had really good drinks and really good chips and salsa and really sub par mexican food at Los Hermanos (I don't know about you but my fish tacos were nothing to shout about). It was certainly a treat to meet these women I have admired "on paper" so to speak. They did not disappoint and we had lively conversation that was easily launched into, since, of course, we were prepped previously by peeking in on eachothers posts! As we were leaving I told Jill she was different than I had imagined. Now, thinking back, she was just as her blog portrays her only all of us, I think, are more reserved in person than we are in writing. It is only natural. This is why I think writing down the details of our lives that often lie backstage is so important: it somehow connects us even more than we can connect face to face across a table. Behind a screen and blinking cursor or hunched over a book with eager pencil, our inhibitions fade--they become somewhat unnecessary. We tread lightly in public, we don't lay it out, some of us clench it close until we are absolutely sure "it" will be respected and understood. Whatever "it" is, I am glad to get a glimpse of yours. Mostly, because it helps me see that I am not alone. To be alone, that is hell. Many of us believe that eternal increase, surrounding yourself with people you love and who love you, is heaven. So, is blogging a little bit of heaven in a day that is often fraught with loneliness? As Tigger would say, "you can't mess with a word like fraught". And, I can't believe I just quoted a Winnie the Pooh movie. Sigh.

10 comments:

michelle said...

Jordan, I loved meeting you in person! And I absolutely agree about the anonymity of blogging freeing us to show who we really are. In fact, after lunch yesterday, Jill asked me if I had fun. Oh dear, did that not show? I am so terrible at meeting people, so shy, I find it hard to let the real me out, at least for awhile.

So I hope you know that I did enjoy meeting you in person! You are even more adorable than I thought from reading your blog, and I hadn't thought that was possible.

ingrid said...

Jordan, you have an amazing way with words. I agree with your perspective on blogging. I am inspired by so many of you ladies that blog and I just freely hop from site to site enjoying your lives! Perhaps one day I will start one of my own... Jordan, perhaps you could help me figure out how to start one????

And please come visit soon! I hear your sister is moving pretty close to us here in Florida pretty soon! Surely she needs a visit from my favorite Mangums too!

rebecca said...

Jordan - so well-written, so true true true. I am glad to glimpse a bit of your "it" through this world.

Jake watched Pooh's Heffalump Halloween today while I wrote in his journal. It was an expedition fraught with danger, and Tigger's line always makes me smile!

Ingrid, PUHLEASE start a blog!

Jordan said...

Ingrid, when I get home to Phoenix, I will call you and we'll talk through setting up a blog online, it is soooooooooo easy. Rebecca, impressed you are keeping a journal for jake---I started that but it fell by the wayside--perhaps another NYR (new year's resolution) for me.

Anonymous said...

What a great analogy of blogging. How fun to meet some fellow bloggers. Hope your vacation is going well.

Jill said...

I'm so glad you were brave enough to meet us. Every time I start to feel nervous about meeting a blogging friend I just remind myself that they already know the real me so I have nothing to worry about, and then I feel better.

I was totally taken aback when you told me I was different than you imagined because I wasn't sure if that was in a good way or a bad way. Are you saying I was shyer in person than you thought I would be? If so that was because we were in a group of 4 rather than just the two of us, even that makes me more reserved.

I thought it was a good outing, sorry your tacos were subpar, my cheese enchilada was muy tasty.

pam said...

How fun, I love Los Hermanos salsa but I do agree that their fish tacos are only ok.

I have loved when I have been able to meet other bloggers, what a treat and I am so looking forward to the summer party.

Jordan said...

Jill, it was a fabulous outing. I think my comment really had not much to do with you personally but my being a novice at meeting people for the first time that I feel like I already know! I hope that we will be able to meet again. I still want you to take our family picture--hopefully this summer (that's probably the next time we'll be up in utah). I should have just emailed you, but what the heck!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. I think I was SUPER nervous when I met Jill. I feared rejection for some weird reason. Was she going to think I was odd? I almost didn't stop at her house, I hadn't called and she had no idea I was coming. However, in saying that I am so glad I did. I love that we could talk about xyz and all knew who we were talking about. I guess the beauty of blogging right? I just wish we could have met up with more people, Michelle, etc.

p.s. I think I have been known to quote pooh once or twice. (sigh).

TX Girl said...

Michelle- I'm sure part of the problem.. I wouldn't shut up. Sorry.. I talk a lot and fast when I get nervous.

Jordan- I LOVED seeing you again. I cannot wait to see you in February. Oh and the fish tacos- yeah.. not that great. I'll give you our recipe for killer fish tacos.