Sunday, December 17, 2006

"Is This A Party?"


That's what Seth asked as we sat up to the table tonight to enjoy an early Christmas dinner--complete with silver goblets, pewter S&P shakers, holiday poppers and linen linens! No one but me cares much that all the stops (well, all the stops we have) are pulled out for a dinner that the kids won't even touch (hence the bowl of scrambled eggs), but it's Christmas, the tree is lit, and why not?! So a pot of pork roast and saurkraut tenderized in the oven all afternoon--a Knudsen tradition to celebrate our German heritage--the smell is one I've memorized as "Christmas" over the years and it didn't disappoint today. We will have it again at my parents next weekend...to Craig's dismay.

Inside our poppers are paper crowns, cheap plastic toys and jokes. This was the best joke out of the four--for some reason I found this hilarious:

Why is an elephant large, grey, and wrinkly?
Because if it were small, white, and smooth it would be an aspirin!

Of course! The best toy was a little magnifying glass, look at the fun we had:


Yes, we are hard up for good times these days.

So Santa is coming in the morning...for the kids. Lucky dogs will have TWO Christmas mornings this year. I just hate to let a good tree go to waste with no gifts beneath her branches.

Today was also my first day back to church. All the talks and lessons were suprisingly insightful and filled me with many much needed reminders. Between tithing settlement and Sunday School, today was the most time Craig and I had more that 5 minutes to spend together--peacefully--thanks to kind friends and our blessed nursery. All in all a good day despite the 3 hours of sleep I barely got last night.

10 comments:

cathrina said...

love the pics..the food..and the magnifying glass..

ingrid said...

I LOVE sauerkraut and pork roast, and I love that you have it as a Knudsen family tradition each Christmas. My father's side of the family is German, so we enjoy many a meal with sauerkraut. Perhaps I will let my parents know about this fun tradition and we will add it to ours in the future! I love how you made a fun, special night for your family. Where did you find those party favors?

Anonymous said...

I've made those crackers before with toilet paper rolls and wrapping paper. They are fun for the kids. How fun to have two Christmas'.

Jill said...

You guys are so cute. I love all the pictues and the fact that you made your Sunday dinner a party with placecards (even for kids who can't read yet) and everything. I should do that every once in awhile.

rebecca said...

I LOVE you how "pull out all of the stops" and make it special - enough for a 3-yr-old to ask if you are having a party! Your setting is gorgeous, and I am sure the food was fabulous (Jordan is one of THE BEST cooks I have ever met!!!). Hurray for you for taking the time to make a party when none was required. Merry Christmas! Can't wait to hear a report of your morning!

Sara said...

Looks like so much fun, and sounds delicious too. . . even the scrambled eggs! Merry Early Christmas to the Mangums!

Jenny said...

Merry early Christmas to the Mangums. I am laughing over the magnifined glass. Love all your traditions (even down to the eggs. Hope you guys have a fun time up in Utah!

Shawna B. said...

Yeah, that joke IS hilarious and I WILL be sharing it with my boys when they come home from school today! Nice! LOVE the Christmas celebration! Hey - you broke out the fishnets, too! Very chic! What a delightful family you are. Jordan, you make everything fun!

amy w. said...

Three Christmases? How lucky! I love that you celebrate your German heritage! You guys look great.

michelle said...

You did all that and looked so beautiful on 3 hours of sleep? You must be Wonder Woman.

We did the Christmas crackers too -- Marc's mom is from England and it is her tradition. We didn't get anything as cool as the magnifying glass though!