Thursday, December 07, 2006

"A $10 Tree" and "How to Lose 5 lbs. Overnight"


Christmas, in our home, is happening very slowly this year. Everything seems "half-done", started, but not finished. The stockings are hung, but Hazel's and Lucy's have yet to be sewn (Tasha! Help!). The tree is up, but lights strung only part way through her boughs. We even forgot to open the 6th day of our advent yesterday...

...but we are certainly no less merry and to prove it we added a wonderful tradition this year. We loaded up the kids in our friends' suburban, borrowed a saw, and drove 2 1/2 hours north to where the snow and wild forests thrive. Ten dollars. All the time in the world. Sticking out like sore thumbs at Red Onion Grill in Heber, AZ. Lacking Seth-sized gloves (mine didn't do the trick). Craig the speedster gets...a Warning!!?? Hours of forest meadering and rediscovering snow with our children. A perfect beautiful Christmas tree found and successfully chopped. A car full of tired "kids". And we came home with a tree, cut down by mine truly--Craig. The pictures tell the rest of the story.


The next adventure began that very night upon our return home and to your great relief is not accompanied by any pictures: The Rotavirus paid our house its yearly visit and left me hurling, etc...I'll spare details...every hour through the night, shedding some weight in the process. So, hence the pause in posts, but I am back and recovered. Please stay tuned for further excitement to come!!

14 comments:

ingrid said...

Jordan! I have been wondering where you have been as I have been checking your blog daily!!! I certainly hope you are feeling better.

What a grand adventure to chop down your very own Christmas tree! And a great start to a fabulous tradition.

May I ask what type of stockings you are making for Lucy and Hazel? I LOVE stockings, so I am always intrigued by the kind my friends have... We have some really great stockings that Mike's mom crocheted for us last year as a surprise, which we very much cherish and we also have some fun ones that we made with glitter glue as a fun FHE activity. I would love to hear all about yours...

Anonymous said...

I hope you are feeling better. Your tree looks like a fun one.

rebecca s. said...

Jordan! So good to hear from you today.
I LOVE the photo journal of your outings pre-Aunt Rota. We chop down ours up here in Oregon, too.
A perfect shot of Craig and the warning!
I hope you all continue to feel healthy...
Welcome back.

Jenny said...

I am laughing at the photo holding up the warning. Doug would have made that exact same face. I can't believe you guys went all the way to Heber. Thats quit a trek for a tree. But the tree looks great and can't wait to see it lit up.

Hang in there you JUST had the baby. Don't be so hard on yourself. Take it slow--and who cares if it takes 2 weeks to get things up right?

Jenny said...

p.s. and get well soon! :)

Shawna B. said...

Jordan's back! So sorry to hear that you've been sick, but glad that you are up and at 'em again. Hey, that tree is something else! I love that you traveled all that way and chopped it down yourselves. That's a great adventure and an even better Christmas memory.

Sara said...

Jordan,
Sounds like such a great time with your family. . . how fun! Does it really matter if everything else is "half done" you went and cut down your own tree. . . what is more festive than that? Sorry to hear about the virus but congrats on the quick weight loss, something we all wish for post pregnancy!

michelle said...

hang on -- the rotavirus pays an annual visit? That's just not right!

I love the photo montage. What a picturesque outing!

Claudissima said...

wow that looked like fun but I bet you were all so waisted! outings like that tend to have consequences for the next days (tired and with a baby)...I bet you will enjoy decorating it!

Grampa K said...

Hi Jord!

Can't wait to see you tree decorated in Citrus'!
We went Christmas shopping for Seth and Lucy.
I think we got them both the perfect gifts. Glad to have them and you up here for Christmas Eve.
Love,
Dad

Jordan said...

Dad! So happy to see a Familial comment. We can't wait to be with you guys in a few weeks.

Tasha said...

Jordan! I don't even remember how we made those stockings! I think we used a vinyl stocking from Kmart as a pattern! If we got together I am confident we could make them. I ended up buying some just like that at Target. I was ambitious and bought 4 of them, even though it was just Dave and I ANOTHER year, but next Christmas they will actually all be in use! A Christmas miracle!

Jill said...

What a fun outing! You guys are brave to take 3 little kids out for such a long day, but how cool that they got to be in the snow.

I'm so glad you didn't get sick while in the car or 2 hours away from home! What a nightmare.

amy w. said...

Hope you are better by now Jordan! Your kiddos are so cute! I think you guys are awesome to take on such adventures with three young ones. That is the way to do it, not put things on hold. What a fun memory!