Sunday, November 19, 2006

Tummy Time


Tummy time for Hazel means strength training! It gives her little limbs a chance to get stronger and helps her keep her head up. She likes it, it isn't uncomfortable for her, in fact I think it is a nice reprieve from being wrapped up in blankets in her crib, on my bed or her little swing. It is a change from the norm. Don't you think we could all go for a little "tummy time" once in awhile? Take ourselves out of the routine/the mundane and stretch our limbs, hold our heads up a little stronger? I feel like these past few weeks have been my "tummy time". I don't run errands, I don't really cook or clean the house, I don't go to church--or anything else, I don't entertain, often I don't shower, I don't even sleep much...it is time for me to get my strength back and give Hazel enough strength so that I can confidently hold my head up--or just keep it on--and get back to doing all those things that I normally do.


During Lucy's nap, Seth has "quiet time" in his room. He is pretty good about playing quietly. I went in today to check on him and change his diaper (I know, I know, don't say it) and he said he was done having quiet time. I told him Lucy and daddy were still napping and so we still needed to have quiet time. He asked me if I could have quiet time in his room--I told him I was having my own quiet time in my room--his reply, "what are you playing in your room?" I thought about this question and wondered, what do I do to play? I haven't played enough lately. Like run around in the grass-four square-popsicle-jump in a pool-do a summersault-type play. Have you?

9 comments:

Jill said...

When I say this title I thought you were going to be talking about getting back in shape after having the baby, I'm so happy it's a profundity instead.

Maybe I need to think of things like scripture study or family history as tummy time for me. I need to do them to strengthen myself and eventually they will become easy for me to do.

Anonymous said...

What a great comparison. It has got me thinking what my tummy time should be. There are so many things I would like to do to strengthen myself. What a darling little girl you have there!

rebecca s. said...

Jordan - it is called domperidone - a few lactation consultants he has worked with have recommended it. Maybe your doc will have an opinion about it?

Interesting thoughts about adult tummy-time. We encourage it in our babies, but I definitely gripe when my schedule is too altered, however much I really love the added excitement. (I just read Jill describe the feeling of dreading Enrichment - any experience that takes me from my jammies at the end of the day throws me for a loop, really.) Comfort zones are - well, comforting. But tummy-time - now we all need a little playtime, right? I'll have to think more about this. Thanks!

Shawna B. said...

Jordan - so many great thoughts! You are deep, my friend. I love all your analogies. I have been trying hard to remember to PLAY with the boys more - I know that when they are grown they will remember the time I spent with them that way, not how clean the house was or if I was freshly showered! All too often the aforementioned just don't quite seem to get done!

Just today the boys were running through the house, holding on to each other's shirts and making a choo choo train of themselves. Owen grabbed my hand to join in (isn't that lucky that he wanted me to?!). I was this close to telling him that I had to finish dinner (and often that is just what I do), but thankfully tpday, I "climbed aboard" and off we went. I must say, I can do a pretty good imitation of a train's engine ... It was really fun. I need to do something like with them everyday. Those are the magic moments.

If I'm not playing "trains" then for me, running is my play time - a nice long run, music cranked up, wind in my face, clipping along. Or give me a good book - a curl up on the couch, up till the wee small hours of the morning kind of read. Just the thought of these things makes me smile!

I love babies on their tummies! Tryng with all their little might to lift their heavy heads! You can do it, you can do it ... Darling pictures of Hazel. Have I told you yet how much I LOVE her name?

Claudissima said...

oh hazel is adorble! I love when babies are in their tummys...although I must confess that is how my two babies have been since the start...but I love the comparison...and I was just thinking how true it is...to take time to strenghten! just before my little one went to bed we played hidden go seek...I can't even spell it...it was fun!

Tasha said...

Jordan,
Playing...hmmm you've certainly given me something to think about. Today Iam going to stay in and bind a quilt and that feels like playing to me!

I love reading your posts, you say things so well!

ingrid said...

You certainly are a deep little Mama! I now look at tummy time in a whole new light. I suppose for me, tummy time is playing, teaching, and performing the violin. I do enjoy taking walks as well.

I agree with Shawna that our children will not remember exactly how tidy our homes are, but they will remember the moments we "play" with them. I do enjoy this part of motherhood as it makes me feel like a child again and I LOVE the little grins from ear to ear that result from our "playtime."

michelle said...

Great thoughts, Jordan. I tend to resist anything that takes me out of my comfort zone, so I don't know that I am working on tummy time right now. I guess I'd have to say getting myself to exercise. I don't really want to do it, but I know it's good for me and it makes me feel good when I force myself to just do it.

I tend to turn to reading or creating when I want to do something that's fun for me. That or playing the computer game I've recently become addicted to! Ooh! or playing cards...

amy w. said...

I have decided as of late I need more tummy time. So I took action last week and joined the gym. Yipee for me! Great post cutie!