Sunday, November 26, 2006

Skipping Church

So, Craig came home with the kids this afternoon (I have yet to make my debut with Hazel back at church) and said they called me up to give an impromptu testimony. Craig stood up in my stead. Some people may disagree with this approach, but I wait at least six weeks before going back to church after childbirth. First, there is the disease of public places, second, there is the commitment of returning--once you do then your free game. Is that so bad of me? I don't feel guilty at all. My mom told me to. My relief society president told me to stay home for EIGHT weeks!! I can't think of better excuses than those. So, Sunday mornings are my time to catch up on sleep, straightening the house, cooking a meal, a shower, blogging--things that seem to get pushed to the wayside during the week (not that I don't shower for a whole week).

Anyway. So Thanksgiving.

We went to my aunt and uncle's place in Mesa. Their whole family was there. It was such a great feeling to be with family. I was sort of depressed thinking we would be feasting on a roasted chicken breast between the four of us. But, Monday she emailed me inviting us to join them for T-day. That's my mom's sister Lark in the red, Craig's taking the picture. Everything was yummy. Craig made a banana cream pie and a Key lime pie to bring to the feast. I brought a baby green salad with pomegranite seeds, candied pecans, and goat cheese and my fresh cranberry "sauce". Then...my cousin Jennifer took Seth and Lucy for the night and the next day until about 4pm!!! Craig and Hazel and I hit the town and had a relaxing day without the older kids. What a treat!

So I rearranged the living room.


This is one of my favorite pastimes. When I do this, which is more often than what would be considered normal, Craig pleasantly helps me shuffle furniture without a word, he has come to accept this bizarre habit of mine. There is something satisfying about sweeping up dust bunnies that thought they would go their whole lives unnoticed. Plus, who wants to look at the same thing day after day?

Well, that's it for now...until my next free 15 minutes or so.

For the latest Hazel update see my "other blog".

14 comments:

TX Girl said...

I totally agree with you regarding the return to church. Hello- people always bring their sick kids to church, why should you have to worry about your baby the whole time. You should feel NO GUILT.

I love that you rearrange your furniture. I do it whenever I get depressed about my furnishings. It always makes me feel like I have new furniture. Love the color of your walls.

Tasha said...

You look great! I am with you on the 6 week thing! Since Evie was a preemie I was even more worried. We did go to sacrament meeting when she was 2 weeks old, I was so excited to have her! Everyone kept asking me why I didn't stay home, so I felt kind of stupid!

Put your feet up because you are right, once you are back, you are fair game!

rebecca s. said...

Such a cute shot of you all! Whoa... 3 babies!!!! Fantastic!
I am so glad that you spent the turkey-day with family. What a treat to get a night almost alone! Thoughtful cousin! Your house looks great, and I love a partner who accepts your quirks. Gotta love 'em.

Sara said...

Take your time for sure! You are right, once you are back, you are back and expected to function like normal again. These first weeks is the only time you have to just enjoy your new babe and let your body heal and relax a bit before the running around like mad begins yet again, which it inevitably will. Your family room looks amazing. . . soothing and I love it, as I do anything you lay your hands on!

Shawna B. said...

I love the picture of all the Mangums! Jordan, you look beautiful! The whole crew looks great, for that matter! Amen to all that's been said about returning to church. An impromptu testimony, huh? Hats off to Craig for stepping in!

Glad you had such a nice Thanksgiving.

Jill said...

You are ridiculously cute, which just isn't right especially after just barely having a baby. (You're a lucky girl.)

I think you're absolutely right about staying home for 6-8 weeks after having a baby. Both the germ issues and being free game are totally true. Plus you need those hours at home with just the baby.

I love rearranging furniture and used to change my Provo apartment around constantly. I loved cleaning behind everything (the dust bunnies grew so quickly) and I loved the change. It's been kind of frustrating in this house because our family room is so small that I don't have many options for moving things around.

Anonymous said...

I do the the 6-8 week thing also. Take advantage of your peaceful Sunday mornings for as long as you can. And guilt free because you know it is good for the baby! You do look great. Love your living room.

michelle said...

What a beautiful photo of your family. I agree with Jill, you look too dang cute to have just had a baby!

I like to stay home from church as long as possible after having a baby for just the reasons you cited. You don't need people asking you to do things yet.

Your living room looks fabulous! Oh, and your salad sounds WAY good.

ingrid said...

Jordan,
You do look amazing! I love the red! And what a cute photo of your family with your THREE kids!!! Definitely take your time -take 3 months if need be! You deserve it! And once again, I just love your home decor....very Jordan, very chic.

amy w. said...

Hey cute Mangum family. I echo all that has been said on returning to church. And having those few quiet hours is sooo needed in the beginning. I La-LOVE to rearrange furniture, it gives you a little lift! So fun to see your digs!

Jenny said...

So glad you didn't eat alone. I like to rearrange furniture. I love your new room. Although I loved the old way too. By the way if I haven't said it enough you look so great!!

Chanel said...

You look so good and I love your living room!

Claudissima said...

oh I agree with lara...and jill and tasha and everyone else...i think you should stay at least the 6 weeks...and on furniture, it is like a hobbie of mine, although I wished I could have mr. clean or somebody like that to move all the furniture for me...some of it is getting in bad shape, becuase i am kind of reckless....but love the different arrangements...inherited that from my mom...

Anonymous said...

i'm an eight-weeker! my ward thought i was inactive when i moved in and delivered my daughter a week later. then didn't go back for 2 months. i didn't feel guilty either.

you look awesome and your children are so cute!!! darling family.