Monday, September 11, 2006

September 11, 2001

New York skyline missing the WTC towers

Today, we tried to spend the whole morning out--the kids and I--so Craig could get some sleep at home. Our last stop was Costco and after picking up a few things we grabbed a pizza to share between the three of us. I wrote September 11, 2006 at the top of my check and it sent a chill down my spine. I looked up and glanced around, I guess wondering if everyone felt a little solemnity on this day. I was a newlywed on this day 5 years ago. Seth and Lucy weren't even twinkles in my eyes yet, let alone a third! I sat on a worn blue and white striped couch that we paid $40 for when we moved into our duplex apartment in New Orleans. Craig was in class. We didn't have a television, just a radio that sat next to me on a $10 shelf we had gotten along with the couch. I wouldn't start my job at Tulane until the next month. The radio and I kept eachother company the rest of the day. I specifically remember hearing the recordings of messages that passengers on the planes had left at home after realizing they would not see their loved ones again. This is when the true terror of the event struck me. Sobs would start and stop through that evening. When Craig finally came home we walked down the street to Alph and Amy's home to watch some of what happened on the television. What can you say, our lives here hang on a thread, held with a strength other than our own.

A year later, Rebecca Swindle and I took a short trip to the City September 7-9. We were able to see Ground Zero and experience the ambiance of a city humbled and united after the devastating blow they endured a year earlier. This feeling was literally all around as we shopped, talked, ate, and wandered the streets of the fabulous big apple. There is always recovery, but, to echo Jill's post, do we always honor those that went before? Could we live kinder more generous lives?

11 comments:

Jill said...

You were a newlywed in 2001?! Wow. That must have been interesting to hear all the coverage of 9/11 on the radio for a long time before you saw all those awful images. I was glued to my tv for like 3 days.

That picture is cool, but sad. I wrote two checks today and two cards to send and dated all 4 items and each time paused for a moment and almost wondered if I should be using that date.

Jenny said...

I had no idea that you and Rebecca took a trip a year later.

Its always interesting to read what others experienced on that day. Thanks for the post :)

rebecca s. said...

That trip was amazing, and will always be a piece of my remembrance on this day - the endless fences covered with memorials, the private mourners all around, indeed the pace of the whole city was charged with connectedness - united! It felt united.

ingrid said...

Jodran,
I remember when you shared your experience many years ago upon returning from your trip to New York with Rebecca. What an amazing experience and a memory to cherish always. Do you remember a few days later that same year, on the one year anniversary of 9/11, when you attended the 9/11 Memorial Concert at Lafreniere Park with our family? I was looking at pictures today of you and Craig holding little baby Julianna, and all of us decked out in our red, white, and blue!

I too paused to reflect this afternoon when filling out the date on a form at the doctor's office today. What a day! On 9/11/01, (just two months after Julianna was born and a few days after our hubbies started attending LSU together), I had been visiting my parents in Florida on that day and since I flew from New Orleans, I was unable to fly back for a week or so. That really was the last concern on my mind at the time, though, because I too was glued to the TV feeling my heart torn and much sadness for what many families and our country were suffering. Those graphic images will always be imprinted in my mind.

I appreciate your thoughts, as it has helped me to reflect upon the day even more appropriately...Sorry about my super long comment! I just had to share!

Jordan said...

Ingrid, I was looking at those pictures we took at the park with you guys last night!! That was so fun to see you play, as always, I miss it and wish we would have been able to attend more of your performances. Such fond memories with you guys.

Tasha said...

I remember that you and Craig spoke in Sacrament meeting the Sunday following 9/11. I remember thinking that was such a HUGE responsibility, people wanted to be reassured, but it was sacrament meeting,not CNN, ya know. You had some wonderful CS Lewis quotes, and I will never forget Craig talking about being on lots of teams in his life, most of them not the winningest, but that he knew that we were on the winning team now, that good would prevail, it always did. You guys set such a nice tone for the Sunday and a congregation whose nerves were so frayed from a week of watching too much news and seeing too many pictures of terrified people.

Tasha said...

I remember that trip too! Especially the Pop-over Cafe!

Jordan said...

Tasha, I had forgotten about that. Thank you for the kind words. You have a sharp memory, my friend!

Jordan said...

We must be online at the same time, I love when that happens...I DO remember the cafe! Yummy yum yum! I have a picture of you, Rebecca and me and we all look like we just woke up, well I do atleast. That was so fun.

Shawna B. said...

I remember you speaking in sacrament meeting, too! The right couple spoke, that's for sure. It's interesting that we all had the same kind of reaction when we wrote the date on 9/11 - it really took me back. One of my dear friends had a miscarriage on Monday, so that whole day just felt extra gloomy. I watched Dateline that night about Flight 93 - I am still amazed by that story. I bought Lisa Beamer's book, "Let's Roll" (about her husband Todd Beamer, a passenger on Flight 93) and have read it twice. Great book. I think of her and her little children first whenever Flight 93 is mentioned. Oh, it breaks my heart.

michelle said...

Sorry, I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that you were a newlywed in 2001, and now you're expecting your third baby! Unbelievable. My kids are spaced so far apart, I don't know how you do it.