Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Projects and People

I pulled up to the house this afternoon after running errands with the kids and let Seth climb up in the front seat to lean out the window and retrieve the mail. Inside was the always hoped for small package of good mail. Seth said, "Look, mommy, did you get some candy?!" Nope, better than candy. Shawna sent a "loaded" thank you note with lotions and cozy socks. Thanks hon!

On the other end--I sent some good mail to my sister and mom this past week and...inspired by Kristi's blog on VT...I am dropping by a bag full of treats to one of my teachees, who happens to also be a good friend. Her husband is away on business this whole week. I know when Craig is gone, it helps to have a little sweet to munch or sip on in an empty house at night.

In other news, I am plotting to paint the baby's room, even though we are only renting this home, I can leave it better--or at least more freshly painted--than I found it. Plus the colors now a way to dreary to welcome any new infant of mine into our home. So, we'll see if energy and time cooperate to make this project happen. I am also hoping to paint the rocking chair in an effort to achieve a distressed white washed look. I am struggling with the sanding part--any advice, all you creative minds?

Got my pink envelope...the anticipation is sweet. Amazed at Kristi's diligence in the whole affair.

I have resigned myself to sticking out this month of night shifts for craig...we nearly fled north (to Provo) to escape both the heat and the headache of "out-of-whack" schedules and that single-mother feeling that was creeping in. Craig and I had a discussion in which we both resolved to try harder to make it work. Because, in the grand scheme of things we need him and he needs us--here, at home (if only for a hot meal once in awhile).

11 comments:

amy w. said...

I feel for you sweetie! Those nights are long, long, long. And then it doesn't get any better during the day because they are sleeping!!! Ugh! Hang in there! Know that we are thinking of you. Thank you sooo much for my CD--LOVE IT!

TX Girl said...

I'm sorry nights are such a bother. I hate them too. I am not looking forward to Adam rejoining the yucky schedule of a resident.

Thank you for my cd too. I have listened to it constantly.

Jenny said...

Its almost a double edged sword because he is gone at night and then really "not there" during the day. Hang in there Ms. Jordan.

I always think about going home when Doug's schedule is bad, but then like you said it makes it worth it even if its only a little time to be together!

rebecca s. said...

Poor Jordan... nothing worse than a husband who is FINALLY home... only to be found sleeping in the next room. Definitely a difficult month to endure. *LOVE AND SUPPORT* (I am sending them now through the Internet. I hope you have high-speed!)

Hang on, Jordan. We are with you!

Jill said...

Yeah for good mail, painting the baby's room, and deciding to stay home. That's got to be rough to feel like a single parent when you're knee-deep in kids, but that's sweet that you know your husband needs you guys to be there when he gets home.

pam said...

I see/am the other side of your husbands life... the constant pages, solving problems, never ending questions, nurses questioning his orders, somebody needing something. I never think how tired and worn out they must be when they finally get home and the love and support that keeps them going. ALl you dr. wives are wonderful and you truely make a difference in the type of dr. that your husbands become. Keep up the good work and the residency/fellowships will be over before you know it.

Feeling like you're going at it alone does have to suck though.

Kristi Brooke said...

those schedules are so hard. it was always hard for me and Jeff to have the kids just watch him sleep. he was always so worried they would think he was lazy, ya right, like that is even possible for these guys!

hang in there, it gets sooo much better! These past few months have been great with the schedule change. You can do it!. I have often said that if I would have had a blog during the worst of residency it would have been called "Everything Black!"

hang in there, blessings come to those who work hard as well as those who support them!

michelle said...

How do you manage during the day when he is sleeping and you have young children? That would be a challenge for me for sure. Good luck hanging in there, it can't last forever, right?

What color will you paint the nursery? That is always so exciting -- oh the sweet anticipation...

Shawna B. said...

Ugh - nights at work and days asleep are the pits. It messes up their sleep pattern and is physically very draining - on us, too! When Tig is on nights, I still look forward to the happy few minutes I get to see him when he comes home in the morning (before he drags himself upstairs to bed). I am so grateful that despite the often horrific schedule, he still manages to be the happiest, most upbeat, funny person I know. Hats off to our husbands! And hats off to us, too, for going along on this crazy medical journey.

You're painting your rocker!!! So fun! Jordan, I did this same thing right before Owen was born. Out in the hot Louisiana summer I stripped all the old paing of the chair, sanded it down, and painted it a really great red. It was a project because my chair was really old with lots and lots of stubborn glossy white paint on it, but I think in the end, it turned out to be a very charming red chair.

A few tips - Invest in a sander if you don't already have one. I bought the Black and Decker Mouse (about $40. - not bad at all!) and have used it a ton. We bought lots of unfinished furniture right after we moved here, and the sander was gold when it came to finishing it.

If you use a paint stripper to get rid of the old paint on the rocker, be very careful - it can be harmful to pregnant women (I wore gloves and a little mask!)

After you paint it, you may want to consider sanding the chair on the edges and in other places, then rubbing (or painting) on a dark stain then rubbing it off to give it that distressed, antique look. I did this on lots of my pieces and I think it gave it a nice effect. I LOVE antique white. You chair is going to be perfect! Good luck! Happy painting!

ingrid said...

Jordan,
I too feel for you and like Shawna, I love those moments (if even for a few seconds) when our husbands arrive home early in the morning and share a quick glimpse of their evening. A resident's schedule is not always the best, but I try to remind myself of the great work they are doing out there and the people's lives they are touching.

And Shawna, thanks for all the painting and distressing antiques advice! I too am in the midst of looking forward to a fun project. Happy painting, Jordan! It always brings a fun, new feel to a home when a room or new piece of furniture is freshly painted. Is Seth's room still green? And how have your decorated for Lucy??? I have always been impressed by your sense of style...

Anonymous said...

don't you hate that "married single mother" feeling that happens to us wives of residents... I always things of my good friend whose husband just got deployed to Iraq... again. I guess it could always be worse. :)betsy