Friday, September 01, 2006

Pacifying with Pedals?


Okay, I'm embarrassed to admit, Seth just turned three and still uses a pacifier when he goes to bed at night. I cringe every time he asks for it and I give it to him. So, tonight, I put my foot down. I tied a ribbon on the pacifier and it was waiting for him on his pillow when he crawled up into bed. Then I explained that if he took his pacifier and hung it on the door outside his bedroom, the pacifier fairy would come and take it away and leave him a brand new tricycle for him to find in the morning.

Okay, so he bought this long enough to hang the pacifier on the doorknob and climb into bed...then he realized what he had agreed to and began to ask for it back. I didn't give in. I talked up the bike a little more and explained that big boys needed tricycles--not pacifiers. He accepted this--temporarily--and lay down to sleep.

I immediately fetched the boxed bike in the garage and began the assembly (I also removed the beribboned binky to a remote trashcan). Then, I heard his door crack open, I ran out so he wouldn't discover that there was actually no fairy, just mom with a wrench and screwdriver. Peeking out his door, he said, in the most pleasant, non-whiny voice he could muster (I assume to get on my good side), "I don't want a bicycle, mom". What do you say to that? Yes you do? Anyhow, I talked him back into bed and assured him of the good time he would have riding it at the park and showing it off to Lucy and Dad.

Well, he is off in dreamland now and his new set of wheels awaits him in the morning...

To be continued...

PS What is the best age to wean from a pacifier? Advice for the future, anyone?

10 comments:

amy w. said...

Jordan, I am not one to ask about pacifiers. Sophie had her binkie until she was almost 4 (she only slept with it). It was her absolute lovey! We tried everything. It horrified me--but now I laugh how worked up I got about it. We wrapped ours up and gave it to baby Jacob Swindle. I hope the next couple days go well and the bike makes up for everything.

Kristi Brooke said...

this is the greatest story.
thank you so much for sharing it.

how sweet that you took a photo of th pacifer.

in my opinon, there is no magic age for a kid to do anything, walk, talk, be potty trained, get off a bottle, read, learn to ride a bike. Each child is so different. it would almost be the same as expecting all adults to accoplish things at the same time. so don't be embarassed at all.
You are the mom, you know your child better than any book out there!

ok stepping off soap box now.
hey how are you feeling?

Jordan said...

Thanks Kristi, you are sweet. And I am feeling great! I am just starting to get uncomfortable with the weight of this baby and I only have less than two months--so I think we'll survive!

Amy, that is so cute that Sophie gave hers to Jacob.

Anonymous said...

Jordan-

Jared was 3.5. We did it when he started preschool and made a little chart for him. We called it the binki chart. Each day he went without it we would place a sticker on it. At the end of the week we gave (I can't even remember) him a toy that he had been wanting. It seemed to work for him. He was sad for a few days, but got over it quickly. Good luck. I would only say if you start it-- don't go back.

Jenny:)

Shawna B. said...

Jordan, I am zero help because my boys never took pacifiers, even thought I wanted them to at first! But I do love your pacifier fairy idea - the fact that you have time to be a fairy, in the midst of everything else you have to do each day, is astounding!

Great tricycle! Wishing Seth many long and happy rides!

Shawna B. said...

Jordan, I am zero help because my boys never took pacifiers, even thought I wanted them to at first! But I do love your pacifier fairy idea - the fact that you have time to be a fairy, in the midst of everything else you have to do each day, is astounding!

Great tricycle! Wishing Seth many long and happy rides!

Jill said...

Whitney had a binkie until she was about 3.5. I never worried about it. I liked it that she had something that comforted her (and quieted her down sometimes). As she got bigger we started leaving it in her bed so she really didn't use it during the day, then we started weaning her from them by not buying new ones and telling her that her binkies were getting chewed up and old and that when they were all yucky she'd need to throw them away. She understood this and when the day came (we were in the car going to Michelle's house) she bit the end off of it and knew it was ruined and threw it away all by herself when we got to Michelle's. She really never looked back after that.

Ingrid said...

Jordan,
I love the pacifier fairy idea. I hope it has been working! What I would love to know is how do you wean a little one from sucking a thumb??? Even since that first ultrasound, our little 15 month old Tommy has been an intense thumbsucker! I think it is darling, though, but we will see what the future holds...

TX Girl said...

The pacifier hanging from the door knob is absolutely adorable. I love it.

I am the same as Shawna.. Lulu never took a bink. I am actually fairly happy about that, because no trauma to getting rid of it... sorry to rub it in. Although now she is so interested in other babies and their pacificers that I wish she would just get it out of her system.

Good luck. You're a great mom Jordan- you will figure it out. Give yourself a break

michelle said...

What a cute idea, Jordan! My first didn't take a pacifier, but I think Lucas had his until he was about 3 1/2. He had a little bowl of them in his bed, and he could only have them in bed at that point. Sometimes he would go lie in bed just to suck on one for awhile. I was just beginning to wonder how we would ever get rid of them, when our neighbor had a new baby. Lucas carried his bowl of binkies over to give to the new baby (boy, I'm sure the mom was thrilled!). I couldn't believe it. He asked for them a couple of times, but I reminded him that he gave them to Isaac and he took it pretty well. Good luck!