Friday, September 29, 2006

On the Eve of Conference Weekend...


As a child, this weekend was the dreaded time when I would be tied down to the couch for "church" four eternal hours on Saturday and four more eternal hours on Sunday--what seemed like the only redeeming quality of this Sabbath weekend was going out to dinner with the girls Saturday night while the boys had yet another two hours to sit through.

Now, it is a much anticipated oasis for the spirit. Craig has the weekend off, I have a stack of photos to put into our albums and we get a broadcast on the tv here in phoenix--i.e. pajamas! The trick is keeping the kids entertained.

I am also hoping to get Lucy's room finished. I have the closet doors and all the trim painted, now just roll the rest on, right! It has turned out to be more work than anticipated. Maybe I'm just slower than usual. It has already brightened it up, so I think I'll be pleased with the results. Hopefully after this weekend I can post the finished room.

So, supposedly we've had 100 days of 100+ degrees here in Phoenix--yesterday, September 28th, was the 100th. I know I talk about the heat all the time, but I am still getting used to having summer weather in the Fall.

In other news, Seth and Lucy slept in the same room last night (due to baby-room renovation). Seth seemed to like the novelty of having his sister in his room. We put her down first, so she was asleep before he went to bed, but as he climbed in he kept his voice to a whisper, a rare thing for little Seth. This isn't the biggest news, though. Neither of them woke up until 7:30 this morning. Who knew? After several weeks of 6 am wake-up calls with not a few 4am starts! So, hopefully this is the beginning of a wonderful change for all involved.

Craig took Seth to preschool, and Lucy insisted on going along for the ride. He woke up with a limp, his hip seems to be bothering him. We are hoping it works itself out.

9 comments:

Shawna B. said...

Oh, can I ever relate to your feelings about Conference as a child! So funny! Now it is a most anticipated event. We tivo it and then have it watch again in bits and pieces throughout the six months leading up to the next Conference. We have an "Apostles matching game" we always play - the boys love it and it has become our little tradition. We also always have lots of good food to eat and then pinch each other to stay awake duiring the afternoon session after all that eating! I love Conference.

You did an amazing job on the room! It's great, Jordan! I love the colors you used and the stars are so happy. How's the chair coming along?

Shawna B. said...

Oh, can I ever relate to your feelings about Conference as a child! So funny! Now it is a most anticipated event. We tivo it and then have it watch again in bits and pieces throughout the six months leading up to the next Conference. We have an "Apostles matching game" we always play - the boys love it and it has become our little tradition. We also always have lots of good food to eat and then pinch each other to stay awake duiring the afternoon session after all that eating! I love Conference.

You did an amazing job on the room! It's great, Jordan! I love the colors you used and the stars are so happy. How's the chair coming along?

Jordan said...

Shawna, the room is actually not finished, I am painting the lighter color over the beige and stars!! They are cute, but not the right color. I will show a finished picture when it is all finished.

Oooh, can you come make us some yummy food for conference intermission? Great traditions.

Elizabeth said...

I love being able to watch it at home also. We watch it on the internet because we don't have cable hooked up. The downside is we have to watch the first session at 6:00am because of the time change. We make a big breakfast after though and then head to the beach after the second session on saturday. I also miss the chille Autumn weather. Did you order the free tote?

Jenny said...

Can't wait to see the finishing touches of the room! I too am wondering how the heck we are going to entertain the kids. Our primary did give them a big packet that they have to turn in next sunday. Church homework?

Seriously you kids are SOO cute! I love those big grins on their faces in the bathroom.

Jeni said...

The funny thing is it is quite nice here in Louisiana. We are actually having fall weather. This past week it has been sunny and in the 70s. The evenings cool down considerably. I love this time of year here. I'm sorry you are still having 100+ heat. The baby room looks great! I have a lot to ramble on about, so I'm going to send you an email.

ingrid said...

Jordan, your children look genuinely happy...a sign of great nurturing done by a fabulous mama! I love how you painted the doors and the trimming white. What color will the walls be??? I am eagerly anticipating the finished product.

I look forward to this Conference weekend as well and ditto to your feelings as a young child. Enjoy your spiritual oasis.

Jordan said...

Elizabeth, Yes, I ordered the free tote...at least I thought I did, I hope. Can't wait to check out the new mag, too bad they take ten years to get you your first issue.

Ingrid, the bottom four feet and perhaps the ceiling of the room will be "Spa blue" that sort of light torquoisey color I love!

michelle said...

Conference at home in jammies is just an entirely different experience! Infinitely preferable. I think next time I will think more about making good food, not just breakfast, so it will feel like more of a celebration for everyone...

love the photo of the kids in the bathroom!