Friday, September 08, 2006

Food, Glorious Food

I am always looking for new things to try. So I thought I'd offer a few of my own with the hopes you will share your "good eats" with me!

A few things culinary you've perhaps never tried or have forgotten about or that I think you should try:



For you foodies and non-foodies out there, if you don't cook and season with this salt, you should begin now. It is flaky and the perfect amount of saltiness and texture--not too rocky, not too fine. It crumbles in your fingers and sprinkles oh so well. You can find it at Whole Foods and very likely at your local grocery store.


I am always rediscovering the wafery goodness of Necco candy--well whenever I come across them, which I happened to today. I love that the yellow is not banana, but LEMON! I love the powdery coating and that there is a chocolate flavored wafer. I love the crunch, I love that they are not sticky, but they stay in your teeth for lingering flavor enjoyment. They've been around since 1847...Anything that old deserves a second chance--go get yours today!



A piece of whole grain bread spread with real butter and topped, while still hot from the toaster, with creamy, tangy lemon curd. Have you had it? It brightens your morning or satiates a midnight craving. It is a must in the fridge next to that huge jar of grape jelly--and it keeps well, too. You can also make your own: see Martha's version. Great for cake or tart filling, melted and served over ice cream or any fruit--instant dessert.


Next, anyone can make these cinnamon rolls. They are from a recipe by Sandra Lee of the Food Network, who I usually can't stand mostly because every time her show is on (well, the times I've seen it) her kitchen is hideously decorated in a different color. But, she hit the frosting on the bun with this one! Try it!

9 comments:

Jill said...

I enjoy product recommendations every now and again, especially from someone I don't really know because it helps me get to know you. Nice.

I never watch Semi-Homade with Sandra Lee because she's too cheesy for me, but I do enjoy the concept because that's closer to the way I cook. I'll have to try those cinnamon rolls, thanks for the tip.

TX Girl said...

I'm a huge fan of kosher salt. I don't think we use anything else.

Allison M. said...

I think my favorite culinary item is a zester. I will give you the recipe that had made me use this fantastic tool.

2 cans Pillsbury Golden Layer biscuits (green tube)
1 Stick of Butter
1/2 sugar
zest from 1 orange

Put biscuits in greased bunt pan.
Combine butter and sugar, untill sugar is disovled. Add orange zest.
Pour over biscuits.
Cook at 375 for 20 min or untill golden brown. Invert on to a platter and serve hot.

Yummy!

Jenny said...

I will have to try those rolls. My mom is an all time NEcco lover as well. Everytime I see them I think of her and well, now I will of you.

michelle said...

I am a big fan of Kosher salt, too, but I don't think I've ever seen this brand. I can't stand Neccos, but my mom loves them. It's one of the few things I have an active dislike for. Don't even get me started on lemon curd! To die for. Whenever I make it, I feel like I'm just looking things to put it on. It doesn't really matter what it is, it's just a vehicle for lemon curd.

michelle said...

I forgot to mention how much I love my rasp (probably the same as Allison's zester). My grandma gave me one from Williams Sonoma. It makes grating lemon zest or fresh ginger or nutmeg a dream. It makes me want to zest something everyday!

Oh, and speaking of zesting, here's a tip my grandma gave me. When lemons or limes go on sale really cheap, buy a bunch. Zest them all, then juice them. Put a pinch of zest in each part of an ice cube tray, then fill with juice. When frozen, pop the cubes out and put in a ziploc bag. You'll always have lemon or lime juice when you need, and it will have that extra zing from the zest.

Jordan said...

Michelle, great citrus tip! My mom has a rasp, I want one, they are very handy. Do you ever use fresh grated Nutmeg--I bet you could use your rasp? I love it on sauteed spinach with butter.

Allsion, thanks for the recommendation, those sound like those orange rolls you can get at Provo Bakery! Yummo!

Shawna B. said...

Great citrus tip is right! Nice job, Michelle! You need only mention limes and I perk right up! Good stuff here, Jordan. Recipes, zest/rasp talk, kosher salt, lemon curd ... all very fine topics.

I am so hungry now!

amy w. said...

Love Kosher Salt, great for grilling ANYTHING. A little olive oil and Kosher Salt and you're good. Can't wait to try the lemon curd--thanks for the rec! You are a fab cook so I would try anything you suggested. Keep them coming!