Sunday, September 17, 2006

"Fluffing the Sunday Pillows"

I love when a kink is thrown into your schedule and changes things around a little. Like a fluffing of the pillows for your appointment book. Not that I even have an appointment book or ever will (I barely use my "planner"). Our regular church meetings start at 9 am, which means a hectic morning and an exhaustive afternoon. But, for today, the authorities that be decided to dissolve two wards in our stake which called for boundary changes for several wards, the mission, and the temple district for the Phoenix area. A huge deal as far as these things go. We lost the other counselor in our RS Presidency to a different ward and got a new, much younger bishop. So our "feathers have been ruffled" so to speak and it was an interesting meeting (especially keeping the troops--Seth and Lucy--entertained for two hours in a pew).

But, the best part of the day was the morning we spent lounging at home--Stake Conference didn't start until 2pm. The weather was so cooperative. I made the oh-so-moist-and-tender overnight oatmeal muffins (you soak the oats in buttermilk overnight) topped with cinnamon sugar for breakfast, paired with lemon curd and orange juice. We stayed in our pyjamas for awhile--see Seth in his courtesy-of-Allison power ranger pyjamas (I like this spelling of the word).

Lucy napped, Seth and Craig and I went for a dip. Seth got a sunburn on Sunday, September seventeenth! I sorted pictures and readied the new KOLO photo albums I bought yesterday (you must check these out, they are dynamite) for Craig and I and the new baby. I made progress on a necklace I've been beading on for awhile and beaded a new one that just "came to me" at the kitchen table, it is asymetric using sterling accent beads, green glass beads and bone--I wore it to Stake Conference. And EVERYONE ate ALL of their lunch--Trader Joe's Gorgonzola Gnocchi, sauteed brussel sprouts, and a green salad with dried cranberries, fresh pears, sugar snap peas and poppy seed dressing--Smarties for dessert. I told Craig, one of the most satisfying things in my life is the feeling that my family has been well-fed. On our way home I was mapping out our evening and mentioned dinner, Seth said, "we're going to eat some nokey!". Gotta love a kid who loves his Gnocchi.

Now, everyone, but yours truly, is asleep--and they have been since 5:30pm!! Yes it is fours hours late and I am filling up my time with...well, whatever I want. Craig is catching a loooong cat nap before his shift tonight, sigh...so, you, my fellow bloggers remain my only audience. What do you do when you have the house to yourself?

Only the kitchen light on in an otherwise dim and silent house.

8 comments:

Jill said...

What a delightful day. It's nice when the church schedule gets shaken up a bit and you have time to sleep in and be leisurely. We meet at 11:30, so that works well for us but last week we had Stake Conference at 9:00 and that really did a number on us. It was nice to be home so early, but the day ended up being way too long.

I haven't had Gorgonzola gnocchi but it sounds good. I can't imagine my kids willingly eating it though.

I'd like to see more pictures of your house. It's fun just to see your kitchen counter. Silly isn't it?

rebecca s. said...

LOVE the house to myself. If I put in a load of laundry, I can feel productive as I, say, watch Pride and Prejudice, read, sort photos, scour the net for my latest obsession (currently looking for raincoats for the kids, red pottery glaze, and yellow raspberry jam recipes), chat on the phone, munch on something... do you stay up way too late because the time is precious?

I can't wait to see your necklaces in person - thanks for more photos. I recognize you in the kitchen shot - I agree with Jill, it is fun to catch a glimpse of your world. Oh, I miss Mangum meals......

Jenny said...

I love the house to myself for sure! I usually will spend it on the computer or picking up my house but I find that relaxing. Especially the blissful silence. Maybe call a friend or two as well.

I love Trader Joes!! That makes me oooh so miss AZ. My mother n law always makes their corn bread and sweet corn. Very yummy!!

Jordan said...

Jill, I know what you mean, it is like getting a glimpse into a person when you see their environment.

Yellow raspberries! Are you trying to make me jeaulous, rEbecca? I love your obsessions.

Jenny, I'll have to look for their cornbread, love a good veggie chili with some sweet cornbread and honey. Good ol' southwestern grub.

ingrid said...

Jordan,
I too would love to see more of your world! Please send more pictures of your home!!!

I checked out the photo albums, and I am hooked! I love fun new ideas for photos. I even ordered a catalog. Thanks for sharing!

Gorgonzola gnocchi sounds divine! This probably seems like a silly question, but what is Trader Joes???
Ingrid

Jordan said...

I know! Aren't those albums so nice, they are good quality, too. Ingrid, you can click on the link to Trader Joes in my post...it is a little grocery store of inexpensive speciality foods and Trader Joe's has its own line of products. You can check the locations on their website and find one near you!

Tasha said...

I stay up way too late because I love the stillness of the house. I realized the other day I have only been alone at home about three times since Evie was born. I've been out alone a ton, but not alone in my home. I LOVE puttering at will here, and at 2 am, I can!

I just stamped some cards, talked to kristi until wayyyy too late in the night, updated my blog for the first time in a week and I am quickly checking in on you!

Allison M. said...

I have to say I love Seth in his PJ's. Richard's uncle company does all trucking for TJ's.

I love the stillness of my house, when I had a house. That is my favorite time to read, or work on projects.

Gald your dinner went well.