Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Shut-Eye, Open Door


I have a few fears concerning my children. I think about them all the time and pray they never happen: someone coming into our home and stealing them and them running out into the street and being hit by a car. I know, it is horrible to even think about these things, let alone post about them. Anyway, they both almost came true this morning!!--Well, sort of. Lucy woke up early early, so I gave her a b0ttle and both she and I went back to sleep. Then stealthy Seth got up, I heard him quietly puttering around the house, I was still in and out of sleep. Then, I wake up to Seth conversing with someone in the house!! It was a woman's voice. I grabbed a skirt on the floor to cover myself up and ran out in my skivies...there in our entryway was Seth and our neighbor across the street, I ran and put some clothes on and came out to see what was going on. She said she was leaving for work and Seth was hanging out in the driveway out front!!! Aaaah! Needless to say, Seth and I had a little talk and we are now bolting the front door at night to prevent further incidents. Talk about your heart skipping a beat. So grateful for kind neighbors in the right place at the right time. What kind of heat-beat skipping will Seth bring my way when he's older?!

7 comments:

Jenny said...

So scary! I have had a couple of those very incidences. At least now you can prepare for it next time. Glad he is safe!!

Jill said...

That's so frightening, I'm so glad it worked out alright and that he's safe. Those little scares are enough to jolt a mother into an uncomfortable state of worry for quite awhile. We had to put a lock up high to avoid little incidents like this.

ingrid said...

Oh Jordan! How scary! I am so thankful little Seth is safe now!

Shawna B. said...

Terrifying, Jordan. So sorry you had to experience one of those heart-beat skipping moments. Sadly, I can relate ...

Owen got out of the house the other day when Tyler was home with him (drifitng in and out of sleep after a long night on call). Fortunately, our neighbor was outside and helped him back inside! We have the best neighbors and I am SOOO glad they were outside at 8:00 a.m. Poor Tyler felt so bad - and embarrassed. As for Owen, he LOVED his new escape trick! We now have to deadbolt all the doors to keep the boy contained! I imagine he'll probably figure out how to unlock them, too ...

Bless these active little boys!

Allison M. said...

Oh Jordan! So Scary! I think Addie was 15 or so months when I had one of the most frigtening moments of my life. We were at good old Alice Birney, picking up Hannah and I lost Addie. She had followed Marie and her kids to her car and kept walking someone found her around the corner.
Of course I was in tears and so were my kids. Thank goodness for nice people!

I am very grateful that Seth is safe!

amy w. said...

Crap! I don't know what would have been more scary--finding out he was missing or hearing a stranger's voice in my house. Glad he's okay.

michelle said...

Oh, so scary! The other day I got out of the shower and had a feeling I should go check on Eva. The front door was ajar and she was going down the porch steps! I have never gotten dressed so quickly in my life. I guess I'd better start locking the door too!