Sunday, August 13, 2006

Postal Gold

The conversation went something like this:

Jordan: I never get good mail.
Craig: What are you talking about.
Jordan: Good mail! Everyone else is getting good mail all the time.
Craig: who?
Jordan: My blogging friends.
Craig: I don't know what you're talking about.

Okay, I'll spare you anymore whiny dialogue. After perusing several blogs of my good friends, I started noticing a trend: pictures, everywhere, of the phenomenon called "good mail". Something I wasn't aware existed. But, everyone else was and talked about it like it was a common occurrence. So, I thought of a post that included this picture:


Yes, this represents "as good as it gets" in the mail department of the Mangum household (I will spare you the pictures of endless issues of JAMA, Clipper magazine, "Have you seen us" post cards, and the beloved "You are pre-qualified" envelopes.) Granted, the above bill--yes it is real, and yes I have to pay it--was for the month our pool was algae-infested and we had to run the filter non-stop, but that is beside the point!!

Anyhow, I refrained from posting my "poor-me-without-the-good-mail" post and decided to grin, bear it, and send some of my own (do unto others, right?). Then, suddenly, on Saturday, the clouds parted and a whole glob of good mail was stuffed into our mailbox. The kids were swimming out back with Craig. I ran outside and shouted "Good Mail! Good Mail!" Then, like a 4-year-old on Christmas I basked in the bliss of it all! Thank you to the sweetest Tasha, and the kindest Amy who somehow sensed the lack in my life and filled it to overflowing.

I will quit my whining now and start sending that postal gold!

6 comments:

Allison M. said...

Congratulations! I would love to know what they sent you. It's always fun to see what other people get.


So sorry about the bill! We had to pay one like that after the storm, and we weren't even living in our house.

Tasha said...

Jordan, Did you see my note on the back? I've been hauling it around with me for two weeks and just barely got it to the post office, I wish I could have gotten it mailed out to you sooner. Was anything melty in there?

Jenny said...

I am so glad you got something besides that TERRIBLE electric bill. Mine was high this month too, but didn't top yours. Ohh the blastest heat!

TX Girl said...

Wow- that is one serious bill. I would have died if I opened that baby. I hope you were kind of expecting it?

I agree- post a picture of your fun Good Mail. Doesn't it just brighten your day to receive something that isn't a bill or other random junk mail.

So my word verification did cut down on my spam.

Jordan said...

Tasha sent some of MY FAVORITE Burt's Bees hand salve (a must in the desert), some darling note cards that I believe she made. Amy sent a cute note pad, hair bands from H&M (the best place ever), a beading mag, and puzzle saver glue!! So fun!

Tasha, yes I saw the note and no, the salve was perfectly fine, even though--like you said, we are only one block away from the surface of the sun!!

Lara, I think the word verification is helping, thanks.

Jill said...

Where are the photos of your real good mail? I'm so excited to see it, and so glad you got some. It cracks me up to think of you (even though I don't know what you look like) complaining to your husband about never getting good mail and him saying he doesn't know what that is, too funny. Congrats on being initiated into the wonderful world of a stuffed mailbox.