Friday, June 09, 2006

Passions


Today is the official start of World Cup Soccer, a phenomenon that is waited for in our home with eager anticipation. My husband is a self-proclaimed fanatic. His defense is "it is only every four years". But, though he thinks I see him as a crazed, obsessed soccer fan, he really needs no defense. This is one of few passions he feeds (I'm the other of course). I have decided it is healthy. It is healthy to feel that adrenaline and emotional rush through your whole body that you can hardly contain it. It is necessary for every human being to have a passion, at least one. Without it we sort of wrinkle away into the background of the mundane and become lost. I have enjoyed watching the anticipation build and seeing Craig today during the first goal of the first game of the "Cup" barely holding back his shouts (because Lucy was napping). He is really like a kid in a candy store...and what's better than that?

2 comments:

Tasha said...

That sounds wonderful, to see Craig so alive with something. That is honestly one of the things I am the most resentful about in regards to residency. It leaves Dave so little time for things like that, its been a long time since I have seen that fire in his eyes about something.

He is going golfing at a great course next weekend with three friends for his birthday/Father's Day and he is excited about that.

I'm excited to watch soccer too and wish the US could sustain a professional league.

Shawna B. said...

Ah yes, the beautiful game. We love the Cup, too! If you grow up in the Borg home you will be exposed to sports of all kinds (I am delighted that Hayden will watch horse racing with me), and today found us all cheering for Team USA and then hanging our heads when they came up short (really short). But, another game awaits and we have high hopes. GOOOOOOAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!